Collegian’s 2018 wrap up

HUNTER DUNTEMAN Organizers lead the hype aside Doodlebob on Oct. 12, 2018.

Brianna Schreurs, Editor-in-Chief

As you’re wrapping up 2018 to leap into 2019, The Collegian wanted to take a look back at noteworthy pieces of journalism our staff reported on in the year.

These are Editor-in-Chief Brianna Schreurs’ picks for 2018:

News

SDSU went through with smoke-free campus policy

President Barry Dunn announced through email on Oct. 17, 2017, that campus would no longer welcome cigarettes, chewing tobacco and E-cigarettes in 2018. In a 60-day follow up, The Collegian found smokers have simply started smoking in less visible areas on campus. 

Ian Lack
SDSU President Barry Dunn announces the plan for a new American Indian Student Center in the Architecture, Mathematics and Engineering Building Oct. 5, 2018.

Major construction on campus paves new opportunities

From the Raven Precision Agriculture Center and American Indian Student Center breaking ground to the Wellness Center expansion and renovation grand opening, campus has seen significant changes in 2018. The Performing Arts Center expansion should be done in 2019. The new practice facility connected to Frost Arena and Harding Hall updates were completed. SDSU also welcomed a new roundabout to campus.

The Southeast Housing Project will be done at the beginning of the 2019 fall semester. Frost renovations, the new Fishback Soccer Complex and Union renovations are on the horizon.

From @SmallNobes on Twitter

SDSU professor brought class to get frequently missing student

SDSU professor Elizabeth Tofte gave a student a rude awakening by bringing the entire class to his residence hall after not showing up for about two weeks. In a series of snaps and tweets, the story went viral.

New ways of celebrating Hobo Day

The Hobo Day Committee and University Marketing and Communications scared off a student group when they wanted to sell Hobo Day T-shirts and sweatshirts. The shirts were criticized for promoting drinking and not representing “what Hobo Day is.”

A group of students gathered at the Campanile for the second year to yell “mehoy minoy.”

Sports

Abby Fullenkamp
Junior Seth Gross wrestles against NDSU Cam Sykora during the 133-pound bout Feb. 16. Gross defeated Sykora by a tech fall of 16-0 with a time of 4:00.

Seth Gross wins first Division I National Championship for SDSU

Seth Gross shattered the glass ceiling for SDSU as he became the first Jackrabbit to win a National Championship in NCAA Division I wrestling history on March 17, 2018. Gross finished the season 29-1.

Coach Stiegelmeier arrested for DUI

The head football coach John Stigelmeier was arrested Jan. 27, 2018 for driving under the influence. He was stopped while driving from home. Despite the hiccup and disappointment from President Barry Dunn, Stigelmeier’s position stayed intact and was extended for five more years this December.

Bono becomes a Badger, SDSU hires Hahn

After coaching a DI national champion in Seth Gross, former head wrestling coach Chris Bono announced on March 24, 2018, he would take over as the head coach of the Wisconsin Badgers.

In April 2018, Damion Hahn stepped up as head coach. Hahn previously coached at Cornell as the associate head coach for 12 years.

Large recruiting classes bump 11 from last year’s football roster

Two weeks after last year’s spring football game in April 2018, a unique round of cuts left nearly 11 players, four of whom were on scholarship, scrambling to make decisions about their future at SDSU. Large recruiting classes spurred roster overflow and prompted head coach John Stiegelmeier to make cuts in compliance with limitations handed down by the NCAA.

Lifestyles

KOREY SCHULD
Victoria Braley and Gabriel Inyan Pulliam-Sanchez pose for a picture on their blind date on Sept. 12, 2018.

Love is Blind series kickoff

The Collegian’s Love is Blind series set up two students on a blind date to see if sparks would fly between them. Since September 2018, we’ve set up four couples and sent them to Craft American Italian Fusion for a free meal.