SDSU’s OLYMPIAN

Jackrabbit swimmer to compete in the 2024 Summer Games
Dave Eggen/Inertia
Denilson Cyprianos competes at the Coyote Invite at the Midco Aquatic Center on February 3, 2024 in Sioux Falls.

Swimmer, Denilson Cyprianos, will be heading to Paris this summer to represent his home country of Zimbabwe in the Olympic Games.
Cyprianos currently holds school records in the 400m and 800m freestyle relays and the 200m backstroke on the men’s swimming & diving team, with just one semester left of collegiate eligibility for the 2024 season.
Cyprianos recently won the 200 backstroke at the 13th African Games and was runner-up in the 100m backstroke.
The Collegian recently had the opportunity to sit down with Cyprianos to talk about his upcoming experience at the Olympics.
What events are you most excited to compete in at the Olympics?
I will only be competing in the 200m backstroke in Paris.
How have you been preparing mentally for such a big stage?
I have been competing in continental competitions for the last 12 months, gaining valuable experience. Mentally, there are challenges with balancing school and swimming, but I am excited for the summer to just focus on preparing for the Olympics.
Can you share anything that you have been doing to prepare mentally or physically?
Since I know what event I will be competing in, I have begun visualizing my perfect race and attaining the goals I have set for myself. Focusing on doing my best in controlling the variables within my control has always been a key focus of mine in preparing for any competition.
What are your goals for the Olympics, both personally and as part of the team?
Personally, I wish to go under the two-minute mark in the 200 backstroke. For my team, my goal would be to go 1:58 and become the first male Zimbabwean swimmer to attain an Olympic qualifying time.
How do you manage the pressure of competing at the highest level?
Leading up to competition, I focus heavily on my breathing. This helps deal with the nerves that come with competition and allows me to feel grounded and present.
Are there any competitors you look up to that you are excited to race against?
I love seeing Florent Manadou; he is a French sprinter who I have looked up to from a young age, and now I am lucky enough to swim in the same pools as him. Just seeing the best swimmers in the world in one place is special, not only because I get to see them but because I am there as well.
How important is teamwork and support from your coaches and teammates in your success?
Support from my coaches and the team has been instrumental in my progress as an athlete and as a person. Hard work is the norm here; each member of the team is trying to climb to the top, fostering a positive environment of competition. The coaches have shared their wisdom with me almost on a daily basis since I arrived in Brookings. This has highlighted the importance of focusing on each day rather than getting lost in focusing on the end goal.
Can you describe the feeling of representing your country on the Olympic stage?
This year has already been a rollercoaster of emotions. I am not quite sure how it will feel to represent my country, my family, and my school at the highest level in sports. Earlier this year, I was a flag bearer for Zimbabwe at the African Games; that feeling was utterly surreal.
Representing my country has gained so much more meaning to me over the years; it has always been an honor to represent my country. At this level, it just feels like it’s more than that; it’s your friends, the people who were there when you started as a swimmer and those I’ve met along the way, all the children I have inspired from Zimbabwe that swimming at the highest level is possible and my family, my biggest supporters.
Have you faced any challenges or setbacks during your journey to the Olympics, and how did you overcome them?
This journey has had far too many setbacks to count and quantify. I am thankful for the challenges as they have led me to the place I am now in life. A quote I like to live by is, “we move”; this has allowed me to grow through the setbacks and give myself the opportunity to remember all I have to do is keep moving forward.
What advice would you give to young swimmers aspiring to compete at the Olympic level?
Understand that there are things that you can control and things you cannot. Every day is an opportunity to learn something, learn from the people around you, and make memories at every point of the journey. Dream big and understand that nothing is impossible; the realm of possibility is infinite and understand it’s what you do every day that is how you live your life.