Kwik Trip Opening

Submitted Art

A Kwik Trip convenience store is coming to Brookings in the near future.
Brookings City Council members met Jan. 23 and discussed plans for the convenience store and gas station.
Mike Struck, Brookings community development director said, “They went down to the development review team and worked through that process as well as the planning commissioning team to come up with a site plan.”
Brookings can expect to see the 9,218-square-foot convenience store on 20th Street South and Ace Avenue. This is about 1.1 miles south of the T.J. Maxx, and just west of Edgebrook Golf Course.
“Kwik Trip is a convenience store offering fuel and convenience items to the south portion of the community,” said Struck. “Currently, there is limited commercial development in the southern portion of Brookings, and Kwik Trip will provide some of those convenience amenities as well as help spur additional commercial development in the area.”
Kwik Trip draws a demographic of customers ranging from all over. They supply groceries, ready-made meals and pastries, great quality gas and a carwash. Kwik Trip is known for its breakfast menu filled with pastries and bakery items. The ‘Glazer’ is their top-selling item, which is a glazed donut.
There is no timeline yet for construction or an opening day but Struck says they have yet to apply for a building permit at this time. But what we do know is that “Representatives of Kwik Trip have submitted [plans] and been approved through the Commercial Corridor Design Review Overlay District.”
This Kwik Trip is special in its carwash and yard plans.
“There [will be] a stand-alone car wash to the south with the ability to expand for another wash bay as demand warrants,” Struck said.
During the City Council meeting, concerns for the car wash and its possible disruption of residential neighborhoods were brought up.
Bonny Specker, a Brookings City Council member asked, “Are the hours limited on the car wash? I know there are some concerns over something else going in the area due to residential housing.”
Struck answered, “Typically they are…automatic car washes, so 24/7 [hours].”
Nothing else came from that question or answer.
“This one is really unique.” The Kwik Trip will have three yardages, one to the north, one south, and one west.
Zach Page, the real estate development manager with Kwik Trip, virtually attended the city council meeting via Zoom. “[We] Just want to relay our excitement to become part of your community and appreciate the planning department’s support this far,” Page said.