SDSU continues their Summit League season undefeated after three games in Fargo

Bosten Morehart
Rozelyn Carrillo throws the ball to Mia Jarecki, standing on first base, to throw out a runner. This season, Carrillo has collected 72 putouts which is the third highest on the team behind Brooke Dumont (240) and Alli Boyle (143).

South Dakota State swept another Summit League opponent in North Dakota State in a three-game series in Fargo and put focus on their next series out of conference before returning to Summit League play.

Game One (1-0)
A home run by Lindsey Culver was all the Jacks needed to take the victory in game one.
The sole run scored by Culver was posted in the top of the first inning. A combined six hits were recorded over the next six innings, but no runner reached home plate.
A steal by Mia Jarecki in the top of the third brought the Jacks closer to a run but would not get there. The Bison tried to steal a bag of their own but Brooke Dumont stopped the Herd in their trails.
Tori Kniesche earned eight strikeouts while allowing three hits and no walks. Junior pitcher Savy Williams struck out only one Jackrabbit allowing four hits and three walks.
Shortstop Rozelyn Carrillo finished the game with four putouts to her name in the field.
Culver, who hit .750, had two of the Jacks four hits while Dumont and Madi Conklin split the remainder.

Game Two (7-1)
Similar to its predecessor, Culver sent one over the fence in the first inning to give the Jacks the lead to start.
Cheyanne Masterson followed suit with a homerun of her own, making it a 4-0 game the next inning.
The Bison got on the board with a run by sophomore infielder Riley Leadstrom to avoid consecutive shutouts. Three additional Jackrabbit runs late in the game closed any chance of a Bison comeback as the game ended in a 7-1 victory.
Shannon Lasey pitched for the Jacks in game two, earning five strikeouts while allowing as many walks.
The freshman pair of Addie Bowers and Kaitlyn Dunford split pitching duties for the Bison, giving up a combined eight hits.
Culver finished the day batting at a .571. Senior outfielder Emilee Buringa earned two hits for the Bison, with three other players splitting the remainder.

Game Three (3-0)
The Jackrabbits wrapped up their series in Fargo with their third win over the Bison this weekend.
A pair of runs from Jarecki and Culver put the Jacks up 2-0 in the top of the first.
The last chunk of scoring came off a home run from Dumont in the top of the third, marking the fifth homer of the series. Eleven strikeouts from Kniesche kept the Bison off the board in the 3-0 victory.
Eight hits came through for the Jacks. Culver hit another .750 game and picked up a weekly accolade from the Summit League Monday.
Kniesche allowed three hits, a hit by pitch and a walk for the Bison. She also earned a weekly accolade from the Summit League for the fourth straight week.
Now on an eight-game win streak, her ERA improves to 1.73 on the year.
“[Kniesche is] just a force,” head coach Kristina McSweeney said. “What makes her incredible is even with that set game plan, we have to make a mid-game adjustment, and she almost doubles her strikeout numbers.”
Williams returned to the mound for NDSU. She didn’t record a strikeout until the top of the fifth and wound up with two more late in the game.
“I felt like as we were competing with [North Dakota State], they just continued to get better,” McSweeney said. “We had to change our approach [in] game three because of the adjustments that they had made.”
The Jacks stay undefeated in 11 Summit League games.
They take a break from conference play as they go to Wisconsin in a doubleheader April 23 and a single game at Minnesota April 24. A three-game series at home with St. Thomas will mark the Jacks next Summit League games.
First pitch is scheduled for noon on April 27 and 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. April 28.