SDSU Theatre & Dance to present ‘James and the Giant Peach’ this weekend

The SDSU Theatre & Dance department will be performing James and the Giant Peach this weekend at the Oscar Larson Theatre.
University Marketing & Communications
The SDSU Theatre & Dance department will be performing “James and the Giant Peach” this weekend at the Oscar Larson Theatre.

The SDSU Theatre & Dance department is putting on a production of “James and the Giant Peach” at the Oscar Larson Theatre this weekend.

Showings are today, Friday and Saturday, all beginning at 7:30 p.m., and a Sunday matinee starting at 2 p.m. For students, admission is free with a student ID. The cost is $22 for adults, $7 for children and $20 for seniors and members of the military.

The theatre department puts on a spring production every year and this year they chose “James and the Giant Peach”. It is a children’s play about James’s journey with his insect friends and how they wound up living in the giant peach stone in Central Park, New York.

The cast has been preparing for the show since February. The set has been built from scratch to meet the specific parameters of the play with the help of a team of over 30 people.

“All of the cast members worked with building their character in each scene that we are in,” said cast member Zach Peyton. “There is lots of action going on and it needs the involvement of each cast member to make it work. This would not be possible without cast and crew members working in unison.”

This play is an opportunity to support SDSU students and the theatre department. Although “James and the Giant Peach” is directed toward children, people of all ages can find enjoyment in it.

“Everyone who has seen the show so far has said the story transported them back to when they were little kids playing adventure games with their friends. Everyone can relate to a character in the show,” said cast member Peyten Wiese.

There are many themes throughout the play that people young and old can find themselves relating to.

The director of the play, Melissa Hauschild-Mork, said: “This has been a really great group of humans to work with and I really do believe our SDSU audiences will find it is very engaging and a delightful show to come to, if people need a diversion from the real world.”