Gronowski named Walter Payton Award winner

Joclyn Haven
Mark Gronowski runs the ball in for a touchdown during a game against the Missouri State Bears on Saturday, Nov. 18, 2023. Gronowski becomes the first Jackrabbit to win the Walter Payton award as the FCS offensive player of the year.

South Dakota State quarterback Mark Gronowski has been named the winner of the Walter Payton award as the FCS offensive player of the year.

This was announced at the Stats Perform FCS national awards banquet Saturday night ahead of the national championship game where Gronowski and SDSU will take on Montana.

Gronowski won the award over quarterback Max Brosmer (New Hampshire) and running back Jaden Shirden (Monmouth). Gronowski is the first Jackrabbit to win the award beating out 30 national finalists.

Gronowski, who is in his junior season from Naperville, Illinois was the country’s most efficient passer totaling 2,883 yards and 28 touchdowns throwing only four interceptions along with 349 yards and seven touchdowns on the ground.

He adds this achievement to his Missouri Valley offensive player of the year award from the 2020/21 season and his freshman of the year and newcomer of the year awards from the MVFC.

The quarterback has led the Jacks to a 28-game winning streak having only lost three games as a starter, one of which was the 2020/21 title game against Sam Houston State that he left with an injury in the first quarter.