Capers

Capers
Submitted Photo

Alpha Psi Omega, SDSU’s theatre fraternity, hosted the annual production of Capers last weekend at the Oscar Larson Performing Arts Center.
“Capers is a student variety show that’s written by, produced by, directed by, and cast by students,” APO Adviser Corey Shelsta said. “It’s all done by the members of Alpha Psi Omega.”
This year’s production, titled Capers: Goes to the Movies, featured sketches based on popular films including “Finding Nemo,” “Twilight,” “Barbie” and various Disney princess movies.
“I play Ariel in the Princess Divorce Club,” Kirynn Engelbrecht theatre major said. “We’re all talking to a therapist and trying to get through our problems with our husbands, or future ex-husbands …We go one by one and say our problems, and they don’t even get solved, but it’s fun. People laugh.”
This was Engelbrecht’s first year of Capers, but others have been taking part in this tradition for years.
“In the past two years I was in Capers and I just love the environment and the people in it,” Eric Luong, a junior from Sioux Falls double majoring in communications and criminology,said.
Despite being fun, Luong says that the biggest challenge was putting the production together in only three weeks.
“We had APO members, choreographers and other important people missing for a week,” Luong said. “We technically only had two real weeks of rehearsals.”
Shelsta said, “It’s a quick turnaround but it’s fun and it’s real low pressure.”
Over 60 students were cast from a variety of majors and backgrounds, plus the members of APO and State University Theatre faculty who pitched in to make the performances happen.
“I would say that anyone should do it, even if you’re not a theatre major. It’s just so much fun,” Engelbrecht said.
Whether students are interested in dancing, singing or acting, all were welcomed to audition and participate.
“I’m just really proud of watching the students come together to make this work and everybody helping each other out and collaborating together,” Shelsta said. “It just seems like this year’s cast had more fun.”
Some students are already eager for next year’s Capers experience. When asked if she would be participating again, Engelbrecht said: “Oh, 1 million percent. I’m already thinking about it, I can’t wait.”