LIVE BLOG: SDSU takes on Utah in the NCAA Tournament

(12) South Dakota State Jackrabbits (27-5, 16-0) v. (5) Utah Utes (22-10, 11-7)
Evan Patzwald
Tori Nelson leads the Jackrabbits with 11 points at halftime of their first round game of the NCAA Tournament against (5) Utah.

Details

Watch: ESPNU with Ann Schatz (PxP) and Mike Thibault (Analyst)

Listen: Jackrabbit Sports Network with Brad Peterson (PxP)

Live Stats: NCAA.com

4th Quarter

End 4th Quarter: SDSU – 54, Utah – 68

The Jackrabbits battle down to the end, but Utah gets it done. Their season will end in the first round of the NCAA Tournament with a 27-6 record. Utah will advance to face (4) Gonzaga on Monday.

8:37 4th Quarter: SDSU – 43, Utah – 55

The Jacks are still hanging around down only 12 in the fourth. Timeout called by SDSU.

3rd Quarter

End of 3rd Quarter: SDSU – 41, Utah – 53

SDSU gets a last-second bucket to pull back within 12, but the Jackrabbits get outscored by 9 in the third frame. Onto the fourth in Spokane.

4:43 3rd Quarter: SDSU – 28, Utah – 38

Brooklyn Meyer gets a bucket and a foul converting an and-1, but Paige Meyer picks up a foul. The Jacks are back within 10 at the media timeout.

5:43 3rd Quarter: SDSU – 27, Utah – 38

SDSU cools off a bit coming out of the halftime locker room and Utah starts with 11 points to the Jackrabbits 1. Timeout South Dakota State.

Halftime

South Dakota State Stat Leaders

#20 Tori Nelson – 11 points, 3-4 FG, 2-2 3FG)

#21 Paige Meyer – 6 Rebounds

#1 Jenna Hopp – 1 Assist

Utah Stat Leaders

#35 Alissa Pili – 10 points (4-9 FG, 1-4 3FG) and 7 Rebounds

#22 Jenna Johnson – 3 Assists

2nd Quarter

End of 2nd Quarter: SDSU – 24, Utah – 27

SDSU’s putting on the pressure with a 17-0 run. Tori Nelson, the senior, is single-handedly putting the Jacks right back in this one with 11 points while injured. South Dakota State trails the 5-seed Utah at halftime by 3 after outscoring the Utes 21-7 in the second frame.

4:49 2nd Quarter: SDSU – 13, Utah – 27

Tori Nelson gets some things going as the Jackrabbits use a 6-0 run to cut the Ute lead to 14. Nelson leads the team with 8 points, and Utah’s Alissa Pili has 10.

1st Quarter

End of 1st Quarter: SDSU – 3, Utah 20

Turnovers continue to plague this team giving the ball back to Utah seven times in the first frame. The Jacks are shooting 1-of-12 from the floor as Utah pushes the lead to 17 heading into the second.

4:07 1st Quarter: SDSU – 1, Utah – 12

Two early fouls on Brooklyn Meyer and a hot start from the Utes have Utah with an 11-point lead over the Jackrabbits at the first media timeout.

Starters

South Dakota State

#21 Paige Meyer

#3 Madison Mathiowetz

#24 Mesa Byom

#20 Tori Nelson

#31 Brooklyn Meyer

Utah

#2 Ines Vierira

#24 Kennady McQueen

#23 Matyson Wilke

#22 Jenna Johnson

#35 Alissa Pili

Must Reads

Paige Meyer leads Jacks to tourney berth

Paige Meyer is currently finishing up her junior season as a guard for the Jackrabbits women’s basketball team. This season alone, Meyer has racked up a total of 444 points with 119 assists and 853 minutes played.

“This has been a special team,” Meyer said. “Winning the conference is exciting and shows all the hard work we have been through this season.”

The Jacks won the Summit League tournament and will now be moving onto the NCAA Tournament where in the first game they will be playing against Utah.

Read full story here >>>

JACK’S CHARGE INTO NCAA’S

SDSU draws 12 seed, Utah in first round

Read full story here >>>

JACKS GO DANCING

SDSU takes out NDSU in Summit League Championship to advance to the Women’s National Tournament

A rough first half for South Dakota State didn’t stop the Jackrabbits from clinching back-to-back Summit League tournament titles over North Dakota State in Sioux Falls today.

Four turnovers in the first four minutes of play by the Jacks allowed the Bison to keep the game close as they led by four early. Five unanswered points by the Jacks allowed them to reclaim the lead at the end of the first quarter. The Bison answered in kind, scoring five before the Jacks went on a 9-0 run heading into the final minute of the second quarter. Senior guard Heaven Hamling on a buzzer beater brought the Bison to within two at the half.

The third quarter saw the lead change four times, but the Jacks would lead by three at the end of the period. The Jacks outscored the Bison 20-6 in five minutes in the fourth quarter. Sophomore guard Elle Evans for NDSU put up the final basket as the Jacks won 67-54 to claim their second straight conference title.

Read the full story here >>>