JACKS GO DANCING

SDSU takes out NDSU in Summit League Championship to advance to the Women’s National Tournament
Evan Patzwald
Left to right: Ellie Colbeck, Mesa Byom, Paige Meyer and Brooklyn Meyer charge their team after they won the Summit League Tournament against NDSU 67-54.

A rough first half for South Dakota State didn’t stop the Jackrabbits from clinching back-to-back Summit League tournament titles over North Dakota State in Sioux Falls today. 

Four turnovers in the first four minutes of play by the Jacks allowed the Bison to keep the game close as they led by four early. Five unanswered points by the Jacks allowed them to reclaim the lead at the end of the first quarter. The Bison answered in kind, scoring five before the Jacks went on a 9-0 run heading into the final minute of the second quarter. Senior guard Heaven Hamling on a buzzer beater brought the Bison to within two at the half. 

The third quarter saw the lead change four times, but the Jacks would lead by three at the end of the period. The Jacks outscored the Bison 20-6 in five minutes in the fourth quarter. Sophomore guard Elle Evans for NDSU put up the final basket as the Jacks won 67-54 to claim their second straight conference title. 

Summit League Championship MVP Paige Meyer carried the Jacks once again, scoring 18 points and racking seven rebounds and five assists. Brooklyn Meyer scored 15 with six rebounds and four assists. Madison Mathiowetz reached double digits for the third consecutive game, scoring 12 with six rebounds. Mesa Byom came close to a double-double, scoring 11 but only racking nine rebounds. The Jacks shot 44% from the court while going 47% for three. 

The Jacks suffered 16 turnovers, 13 of which came in the first half. “I think we just kept talking about, let’s have the next, you know, best 10 minutes, or four minutes, or let’s be the best we can be in this next stretch of time,” head coach Aaron Johnston said. The Jacks improved their shot percentage in the second half, going 50%. 

Hamling led the Bison in scoring with 16 and six rebounds and three assists. Evans was second-best for the team at 13 points, five rebounds, and an assist. The Bison shot 33% from the court while going just 17% for three. 

The Jacks improve to 27-5 overall. “It was a really good win for our group,” Johnston said. “I thought it was a great, you know, example of the kind of team that we have where things were hard, but I felt like we were always within reach.”  

South Dakota State advances to the NCAA tournament. They await their opponent, location and time of the game, which will be determined during the women’s selection show on Sunday, Mar. 17 at 7 p.m. on ESPN.