One Day for STATE encourages students, donors to make impact

The South Dakota State Foundation wants to celebrate being a Jackrabbit and the impact that private gifts can make on the university.

That’s one of the reasons why One Day for STATE, a 24-hour giving challenge, is happening Wednesday, Sept. 29.

By donating money, donors can unlock more than $200,000 in matching funds for colleges and student scholarships.

This is the second time One Day for STATE is occurring. Last year the day-long celebration raised $298,558 dollars from 1,196 donors.

Erin Glidden, director of loyalty giving at the SDSU Foundation said this year, the goal is 1,300 donors.

Glidden said that would be one donor every 66 seconds for 24 hours.

“No matter the gift size, it can make a difference,” she said. “So my gift, say it’s maybe it’s only $10, I can help unlock a $10,000 gift by making a gift. So having that incentive that your small amount can make a difference.”

Last year, 106 students contributed to One Day for STATE, one of those donors was Nick Lorang, communication studies and journalism graduate student.

He said online, “I made four gifts to support some of the best opportunities South Dakota State University has given me.” 

If 100 current students make a donation during One Day for STATE, donors Greg and Pam Sands have agreed to unlock and donate $10,000 for access scholarships.

Lorang was a social ambassador. Glidden said One Day for STATE uses social ambassadors because donors “want to make a gift on behalf of you [the student].”

Breanna Vogel, senior agricultural education major, is a social ambassador this year because she wanted “to provide more opportunities for more students by encouraging them to donate.”

Vogel donated $20 last year and said it was “awesome” because she knew she was unlocking challenges.

“…[E]very little bit helps,” she said. “There are so many opportunities to help SDSU even if you can’t donate a lot.”

Donors can designate where their funds go, Glidden said. Meaning, specific organizations on campus, like the Hobo Day Committee or Jackrabbit Forensics get directly funded if the donor so chooses.

The day will be full of events for students beginning at 9 a.m.

Students can get free coffee 9-10 a.m. at Union Coffee by simply sharing a video to their newsfeed.

Next, there is the Patio Party, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. on the southwest side of The Union. There will be a free picnic lunch at 11:30 a.m., free SDSU ice cream at 1 p.m., yard games, music and prizes all day.

At the Patio Party, students have the chance to win a $100 SDSU Bookstore gift card.

At night there’s the Yellow and Blue Block Party from 5-8 p.m. at Alumni Green. There will be food trucks, more free SDSU ice cream, signatures from SDSU athletes and the Bummobile. The Pride of the Dakotas will perform at 6:30 p.m.

The whole day there will be a Snapchat scavenger hunt and selfie photo contest.

Glidden is excited for the day and optimistic the Foundation will meet its goals, though it “won’t be easy by any means.”

“When you have Jackrabbits and give them a goal, they rally together to meet that goal,” she said.