Legal advice offered to students if needed

Photo by Scott Graham on Unsplash
Appointments to meet with Stacia Jackson are available from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. on Wednesdays at the Student Union.

Students looking for legal advice can now meet with a lawyer for free every week, sponsored by the Students’ Association General Activity Fee (GAF).
Stacia Jackson, lawyer and SDSU alumni, returns to campus each week to provide free legal aid to students. She is eager to help students with a variety of questions and concerns.
This service aims to provide general advice, assist in filling out legal documents, as well as discussing criminal and family law.
Jackson encourages students to utilize the service even if they don’t know what their questions may be or what their next steps should be.
“The more you tell me and are straightforward about any problems, the easier it is for me to provide advice and guidance,” Jackson said. “I want to help you.”
Jackson sees two or three students on an average every week. This is an increase in numbers from previous years. Topics may vary from consultations on criminal proceedings, what to expect in court, business formation, and most commonly, landlord-tenant issues.
She has now been contracted to provide this service for almost three years. Jackson has seen growth in the utilization of the program in recent years and hopes to see it grow even more.
This service is contracted through the SA each semester and is provided at the University Student Union. This is part of the allocation of the GAF funds.
Ben Connor, SAs former chief of staff, handles scheduling and appointment inquiries.
“It is super simple to schedule an appointment; just email me and I will get you on the schedule and in contact with the lawyer,” Connor said.
Accessibility to the services and availability of Jackson each week are primary concerns for Connor and the rest of the SA regarding this program.
Max Einck, a sophomore mechanical engineering major, did not know the service existed but is interested in learning more about the services funded by GAF.
“I think it is a really great service to provide for students,” Einck said. “If I have legal questions this seems like a great resource to use, and it’s available on campus.”
To schedule an appointment with Jackson, email Connor at [email protected]. Appointments are available from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. on Wednesdays at the Student Union. Students will be scheduled as soon as possible when coordinating Jackson’s schedule.