The 101st Little International

Thousands come to Brookings for the annual event
Courtesy Little “I” Photography Committee
Students who served on the 101st Little International Committee in front of the new barn.

The 101st version of South Dakota State’s Little International went off this past weekend to rave reviews from student leaders who organized the livestock show.
More than 2,000 high school students arrived on campus to watch shows and participate in Career Development Events (CDEs), said Isaac Berg, the 101st Little I manager. Meanwhile, 150 undergraduate college students showed animals in the events.
“This year was a huge success,” Berg said. “They (students) worked tirelessly for over three weeks to get their animals in peak form.”
Little International, or Little “I” as it is known, is the largest two-day student-run livestock exhibition in the nation. A student staff of 150 helped create the event that drew thousands of students, alumni and other people to Brookings to compete and watch.
A variety of awards were given to students and participants at Little “I.”
This year’s round robin winner was Bradyn Lachenmeier. The transfer student had his first experience with Little International last year as a junior showing a goat. This year, he showed a dairy heifer. He reflected on what this year’s award means to him.
“I’ve always prided myself on showmanship,” Lachenmeier said. “Being able to win SDSU’s Little International round robin had always been a goal of mine. It meant all the work of showing sheep, goats, and cattle in the past was worth it. It was the result of many hours and effort of many, many prayers that without God, nothing is possible.”
A new red barn – the iconic symbol of Little International – was built by members of the Equipment Executive Committee led by Kaleb Koerselman and Ethan Wright. Koerselman’s and Wright’s duties consisted of setting up the new barn, maintaining the show ring by laying wood chips, and all the other behind-the-scenes work.
“None of this work would have been accomplished without all the other students on equipment,” Koerselman said.
Koerselman and Wright also received this year’s Pete Pritchett Memorial Award. The award recognizes outstanding individuals who are nominated by other staff members based on how much hard work they put into Little “I.”
Pritchett was a livestock coordinator for Little “I” and died the summer before his senior year. The award was created in honor of his participation in SDSU campus activities, particularly with Little “I.” This is the first year there have been two recipients for the award.
“Ethan and I are both at a loss of words after receiving it,” Koerselman said. “We both worked very hard and it was a huge honor for both of us to receive the award this year.”
Little International began on campus in 1921 and has since flourished as a rich tradition of legacy and learning. That makes Little “I” one of the longest traditions at the university and provides not only FFA and 4-H high school students opportunities to compete in contests, but also offers undergraduate students the opportunity to participate.
Students can get involved in Little “I” by applying to be on staff, showing, competing in contests or even just coming to watch the event, Berg said.
Berg first attended Little “I” to watch his siblings and community members compete in the show and to support the organization. He became more involved as he got older. When he was old enough to attend SDSU, he started by being on staff each year and showed an animal for two of those years.
Being the Little “I” manager takes dedication and time, he said.
“I put countless hours into the preparation and planning of this event,” he said. “I am always thinking of ways to better improve us and how to get more people involved and how to give others the best experience possible.