Rabbits split duals in Oklahoma; prepare for dual with Missouri

Keith Lucas/Sideline Media Productions
Clay Carlson takes down his opponent from Oklahoma in the Jackrabbits’ 20-13 victory on Feb. 9, 2024.

The Jackrabbits prepare to host the Missouri Tigers, coming off a 1-1 weekend in Oklahoma.

The No. 7 ranked Missouri Tigers are set to visit Frost Arena this Sunday  and will provide a challenge to a hot Jackrabbit squad. 

The SDSU wrestling team has won 9 out of their last 10 duals, most ending in a blow out. Beating Wyoming and Utah Valley both 33-3, they are controlling the mat. The Tigers were on a six-match win streak before dropping contests to Cornell and No. 3 Oklahoma State. 

“I think it’s been a great season, we had a little bit of a slow start, but we have been wrestling really well recently and we were ranked 10th in the country which is the first time in program history and it was pretty cool to do that,” Cael Swensen said.

South Dakota State’s dual against Nebraska in 2022 was the only time they hosted a team ranked as high as Mizzou. Losing the match back in 2022, the Jacks hope to get this victory over Missouri before their Border Bell Dual against rival North Dakota State. 

Winning this dual in Frost Arena would be historic for the SDSU wrestling program and could potentially allow the Jacks to host ranked teams again in the future. Head Coach, Damion Hahn hopes to see this event add to the tradition of the “die-hard, loyal” Jackrabbit fanbase.

“I think by being ranked 10th in the country and having 8 out of the 10 ranked right now only helps our cause to keep building momentum and putting people in the stands,” Hahn said. 

Four-year starter, Tanner Sloan, is an athlete to watch this Sunday. Sloan recently added to his 16-1 record with his takedown of Oklahoma’s No.3 ranked Stephen Buchanan. Ranked No. 2 in his 197-weight class, Sloan is a top contender for the NCAA National Championships this year.

Cade DeVos, another wrestler to watch, grabbed a win against Oklahoma to make his record 16-1 last weekend. DeVos has been hot all season and is most likely to wrestle No. 11 ranked senior Tiger, Peyton Mocco. 

No. 1 ranked Keegan O’Toole has been a standout wrestler this year for the Tigers. Winning his last match against Oklahoma State wrestler Izzak Olejnik in the 165 weight class. Connor Gayor is a potential Jackrabbit for O’Toole to face this upcoming Sunday.

A big part of the Jacks’ success this year is the culture that this team has built over the past few years. Hahn mentioned the team is all in, and competes for each other on and off the mat every single day. 

“You know, they want to be national champions, they want to contend for trophies at the Big 12 tournament and the national tournament, so if we continue to build upon our foundation and what we have established, the sky’s the limit.” Hahn said.

Up Next:

The Jacks will host the Border Bell Dual against North Dakota State on Sunday, Feb. 25. Many senior wrestlers will see this match for their senior night. This will be their last dual before they head to Tulsa, Oklahoma to compete in the Big 12 Championships.