Rabbits win two on the road, continue road duals in Oklahoma

Keith Lucas / Sideline Media Productions
Tanner Sloan of South Dakota State works a tilt on his opponent, Cael Crebs from Navy during the dual between SDSU and NAVY in Hampton, VA Jan, 12. 2024. Sloan defeated Crebs by technical fall 18-0.

Jackrabbit wrestling secured two more wins over the weekend, extending the teams win streak to eight. The team is undefeated against Big 12 opponents.
Wyoming
The Rabbits started the weekend road trip out in Laramie, Wyoming where they would face off against the Cowboys winning 33-3.
In this matchup between the Cowboys and Jackrabbits, there were a few matches worth mentioning. Tanner Sloan earned his 100th career victory, Tanner Jordan pulled off a big upset, Derrick Cardinal won his first match back in the lineup and Cael Swensen extended his personal winning streak to seven.
Being able to earn 100 career victories at the college level in wrestling is a big achievement. Head coach Damion Hahn recognized this with Sloan and how hard he has worked for it.
“That’s a milestone kind of in our sport that not a whole lot of people obtain,” Hahn said. “He has been able to do that, he has been a staple within our program.”
Coach Hahn also mentioned that Sloan’s consistency is one thing that makes him so special and how he has always worked hard to get to where he is.
Sloan is one of now 16 Jackrabbit wrestlers to have reached 100 career wins in his career record after the Wyoming dual was 100-21.
The dual started out with an exciting upset, getting the Jacks going right out of the gate. Entering the match at 125 pounds, Jordan was ranked 18th and was facing off against Wyoming opponent Jore Volk, who was ranked fourth.
“He definitely got the ball rolling for us, Jore Volke from Wyoming is a stud,” Hahn said.
The match was low scoring ending with a win by decision for Jordan 2-1. With a scoreless first period, Vore earned an escape early in the second period to take the lead 1-0. Vore’s lead would not be safe though, Jordan earned a reversal in the third period and rode out Vore to win the match 2-1.
Derrick Cardinal picked up the second win of the dual for the Rabbits with a good start after two weeks off the mat. Cardinal beat Cooper Birdwell 5-3 adding to State’s lead, leaving Wyoming with no points after the first two matches.
The only loss for the Jacks in this dual came at 141 pounds where Wyoming’s Cole Brooks defeated Caleb Gross 9-4.
South Dakota State finished the rest of the dual strongly starting with Alek Martin winning by major decision 12-2 over Gabe Willochell. Cael Swenson defeated Sloan Swan 7-2 and Tanner Cook won in sudden victory 4-1 over Cooper Vorhees.
The next three matches for the Jackrabbits were all bonus-point victories. Cade DeVos won 15-3 earning a major decision over Quayin Short. Bennett Berge earned his own major decision 12-2 over Ethan Ducca and Sloan won by fall over Tyce Raddon.
Luke Rasumussen rounded out the dual for the Rabbits at heavyweight with a win by decision over Bradley Moore.
Utah Valley
The Rabbits kept things rolling on Saturday in Lockhart Arena where they defeated the Wolverines 33-3.
With a win in this dual, the Rabbits season record is now at 11-2. The team is undefeated against Big 12 opponents 5-0 now sitting at No. 11.
The dual started off with two wins, both by decision from Tanner Jordan and Derrick Cardinal. Jordan won his match 5-0 not allowing his opponent to score and Cardinal won 8-3 over his opponent.
Once again, the Jackrabbits suffered only one loss in the dual coming at 141 pounds. Wolverine Haiden Drury slipped by SDSU’s Caleb Gross with a 2-0 win.
As they did in the Wyoming dual, the rest of the lineup took care of business finishing out the dual. It was Alek Martin’s turn in adding to his win streak putting it at seven just as Cael Swenson did against Wyoming.
Swenson won his match by decision 5-1 over Alex Emmer giving the Jacks a 12-3 lead after the 157-pound match. The Rabbits tallied up more bonus-point victories with Tanner Cook winning by fall, Cade DeVos winning by tech fall and Bennett Berge winning by major decision.
Tanner Sloan held Evan Bockman scoreless winning 5-0 adding to his undefeated dual record this season. Heavyweight Luke Rasmussen won in a tight one against Chase Trussell, winning 4-2.
After the dual ended, there were two extra matches wrestled in which Jackrabbits Connor Gaynor and Logan Graf both won. Gaynor won his match at 165 pounds by fall and Graf added to his wins with a decision.
The Rabbits continue their duals away from home heading to Oklahoma this weekend. SDSU will take on Oklahoma Friday, Feb. 9 at 7 p.m. in Norman and Oklahoma State Saturday, Feb. 10 at 6 p.m. in Stillwater.