Lucrative fundraiser

Dairy Club makes 7,000 in cheese box sales
Submitted
SDSU Dairy Club members display cheese blocks placed in boxes shortly before selling them. Members gathered at the Davis Dairy Plant and cut down 20 pound blocks of cheese into 30 chunks.

SDSU’s Dairy Club sold over 8,000 pounds of cheese and recorded a two-year high gross income during its annual cheese box fundraiser.
The fundraiser began earlier than previous years with sales opening in mid-October and closing Dec. 1 so people could have their boxes delivered before Christmas. This was the first year the fundraiser had preset boxes for people to choose from; Hobo Spice, Jackrabbit Classic, Campanile Cheddar and Jacks Favorites.
“That was faster for us and it didn’t affect sales,” said Briana Maus, a junior dairy production major.
“I think this helped our sales because this year we grossed $87,000 which is more than the past two years,” said Allison Wright, a junior agricultural communications/animal science major and Dairy Club president.
The student-run fundraiser is known nationwide, and SDSU Cheese was sold and shipped to all continental states by the club. Many of the people and businesses they sell to become repeat customers. One customer has been buying SDSU cheese since the 1970s because of the high-quality product and customer service they receive.
Mildred Huggins, a Brookings resident for over 70 years, is one of the club’s loyal customers. She and her husband, Earnest J Huggins, moved to Brookings after they finished college. He then worked as a professor in the biology department at SDSU. Their initial plan was to live here for a few years and then move back to her husband’s home state, Texas.
70 years later, Mildred is still in Brookings and a “loyal Jackrabbit.” A few years after her husband’s passing, Mildred began buying cheese boxes from the dairy club to send to her family in Texas.
“I wanted the Texans to realize that good cheese could be purchased in South Dakota,” Huggins said.
To package and box up all of the cheese, the club hosted cheese cutting nights in the Davis Dairy Plant until all 2,257 boxes were filled. Each box held four blocks of cheese, each weighing three-fourths of a pound and sold for $30 a box plus shipping. The club cut about 8,000 pounds of cheese which took 800 hours in total to complete the process.
On a given ‘cheese cutting night’ members of the dairy club would gather at the Davis Dairy Plant and cut down 20 pound blocks of cheese into 30 chunks. From this point, they sealed the chunks and put a sticker on each piece. Once orders started coming in, the club began packing the individual boxes.
Davis Dairy Plant plays a key role in the success of the cheesebox fundraiser.
“We wouldn’t be able to do any of this without the dairy plant,” Wright said. “They’re really willing to help us because we help them get their cheese out, it’s a symbiotic relationship.”
The plant sells the cheese to the dairy club at wholesale cost and allows students to use the facilities for free. For many students, they get to watch the process come full circle as they work in the plant and make the cheese. The club works as a team to cut, package and sell the cheese.
The fundraiser was a yearlong process for Wright, Maus, Randall Winch and members of the cheese box committee. Wright was the chair for the committee and has worked since last fall to make this sale possible. She helps make decisions and look over details. Maus was trained in food safety protocols by the dairy plant staff so the club could use the facility. Winch oversaw customer orders, shipping and other finances.
According to Maus, cheese for next year’s sale is already being made in the Davis Dairy Plant so it has enough time to age and pass inspection.
The money raised from this event is used to sponsor club events and trips. Each summer, the club typically hosts Jackrabbit Dairy Camp for 9 to 17 year olds. The participants learn more about showing and raising dairy. Members of the club plan and facilitate the two night, three day event.
The club also goes on a spring trip and industry tours that are made possible through cheese box sale profits. Last, the money is awarded back to students who are members of the club in the form of scholarships. Dairy club offers four scholarships to its members, two for dairy majors and two for non-dairy majors.
The Dairy Club comprises over 70 members and welcomes students of all different agricultural backgrounds.
“We have so much to offer,” Maus said. “No matter if you’re interested in dairy, communications, planning, community relations, advertising, or media, there is something for you to do with Dairy Club.”