Mort named dean of College of Pharmacy and Allied Health Professions

JANE+MORT
JANE MORT

UNIVERSITY MARKETING AND COMMUNICATIONS

Jane Mort, who served as interim dean of the College of Pharmacy and Allied Health Professions the past two years, has been named dean of the college following a national search.

“As we conducted the search process, it was clear that we already had an excellent candidate for the position who was serving as our interim dean,” said Dennis Hedge, provost and vice president for academic affairs. “Dr. Mort’s expertise in pharmacy education, curriculum design, assessment, and academic program accreditation is outstanding. She will continue moving the College of Pharmacy and Allied Health Professions forward.”

In her role as interim dean, Mort led a team that included 45 staff members and three degree programs with the doctor of pharmacy, the Ph.D. in pharmaceutical sciences and the Bachelor of Science in medical laboratory science. The college is also the academic home for the collaborative Master of Public Health program. Faculty conduct research in the areas such as oncology, medication delivery systems, genomics, neuropharmacology, cardiovascular disease and medication managements.

“This is a tremendous honor and opportunity to lead the College of Pharmacy and Allied Health Professions,” Mort said. “The college has experienced tremendous success and has a rich history of preparing outstanding students to be leaders and innovators. These achievements create significant momentum as we seek to meet the evolving health care needs of the state and nation. The dedicated faculty and staff of the college are prepared to address these new challenges and I look forward to serving as their dean.”

Mort has been at SDSU for 31 years, serving in roles as associate dean for academic programs, coordinator of assessment, coordinator for West River clinical education, acting head of clinical pharmacy department, professor of pharmacy practice and associate professor of clinical pharmacy. She began her career at State in 1986 as an assistant professor of clinical pharmacy.

Mort has served on numerous university and professional committees in addition to being a pharmacy consultant to the South Dakota Foundation for Medical Care since 2004. She recently helped foster the development of the Hoch Family Endowed Professorship in Community Pharmacy Practice, presented at the American Association of College of Pharmacy annual meeting on incorporation of leadership pharmacy skills into the curriculum utilizing the learning progression model, and carried out research on medication use practices.

Mort was awarded a doctor of pharmacy from the University of Nebraska Medical Center in 1985 and earned her American Society of Health-System Pharmacists residency certificate from the University of Iowa Hospital and Clinics the following year.