Student scoreboard lacks funds

Evan Patzwald

South Dakota State University continues to progress for a permanent scoreboard on the north side of Dana J. Dykhouse Stadium.  

SDSU Athletics and Students’ Association started this project in 2018 and it has slowly turned into a funding problem.  

According to SA President Trinity Peterson, students have complained about not having a scoreboard on the northside for years now. 

“It was a common complaint,” Peterson said. “I felt like this would contribute to students’ experiences, positivity, and, for students with disabilities. Those seats in the front have no accessibility from seeing past everyone standing.” 

However, with the hopes of a big video scoreboard, the funds are not there. Peterson says the board could cost between $500,000 to $1 million.  

SDSU Athletic Director, Justin Sell, confirmed that the funds are not yet available for a permanent scoreboard.  

“There are five or six options, and they all have a different price tag,” Sell said. “We have to go out and find donators or private owners to help get it done.” 

Another financial issue the permanent scoreboard has is the structure attachment between the stadium and the scoreboard. Sell thinks the attachment structure will cost around or more than the scoreboard itself and this is why the funds are not there yet.  

Student Athletics put up a temporary scoreboard for this year’s football season and it might be staying around for future seasons. It has had a few problems for this season including small score numbers and glitches, but the athletics department has fixed issues along the way and would like to hear feedback on what students think. 

Peterson thinks the temporary scoreboard is okay for now; but would like to see the permanent one before she graduates. 

“I hope it is before May of 2025. So, if it’s there in the fall of 2025, I probably won’t get to see it,” Peterson said. “But I think it’s a pretty good timeline because of the cost.” 

Sell wants to remind students to be patient before reaching out with questions and/or concerns as well and he wants everyone to know that the project is progressing and a permanent scoreboard on the north side of the stadium will happen one day.