New Parking violations implemented, new art exhibit coming soon

At the Sept. 11 Student’s Association meeting, parking services discussed new parking regulations and the South Dakota Art Museum talked about a new art exhibit coming. The Senate also passed two amendments.  

The meeting began with an announcement from Rachel Goldsmith, an administrative assistant at the South Dakota Art Museum and former finance chair for the SA. They will be hosting an art exhibit from South Dakota artist Oscar Howe that ends Sept. 17.  

“It truly is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to see this collection all together and an entire retrospective of his work,” said Goldsmith.  

She also stated that since the art was done with an egg wash paint it is extremely sensitive to light. This means that after the exhibit is over it is going to have to be put in dark storage for 20 years. 

SA and other student groups continued the meeting with announcements. One of the first announcements was that the school attorney has been given her contract and that legal aid office hours will begin Sept. 13 and will be every Wednesday from 3-6 p.m. in the Peterson Conference Room. 

Government Affairs Chair Michael Garofalo said that they are looking for fellow students to join the Mental Wellbeing Team. They meet the first Monday of every month in the Wellness Center. 

The Gender and Sexualities Alliance had their weekly meeting where they discussed their upcoming karaoke night happening Sept. 20 from 6-9 p.m. in the Student Union. 

The University Program Council Announced that they will have “Jacks Got Talent” auditions on Oct. 13 in the Oscar Larson Performing Arts Center from 5-9 p.m.  

Senator Grant Sternhagen went over a report from the Parking and Traffic Committee. The first thing that he brought up was the fact that they had bought a second enforcement car which began patrolling on Sept. 11.  

“The second thing is there was an amendment to the parking regulations that essentially adds a repeat offender policy,” Sternhagen said. “In many cases, this means your maximum ticket can go up to $200 per citation.”  

Your first violation will cost you $30 and then the order of subsequent violations goes $50, $75, $100, $100, $100, $200, $200, and then on your ninth violation you will be forced to park in lot 170 for the rest of the school year and presumably receive another $200 fine. 

Sternhagen also claimed that when a staff member asked the head of Parking and traffic if they were going to tell the student body about this change, they said that they had no plans to since it was in the parking manual that everyone is required to read.  

Other Business 

Amendment 23-3-3-A, which is an amendment to update the absent policy for the SA. The amendment was passed, but only after multiple senators debated that the minimum amount of time that they should have to file for an absence should be twelve hours instead of the originally proposed 24 hours. This was then changed to seven hours before it was finally voted on and passed. 

SA also voted on amendment 23-4-A, which would update caucus activity reports. After minimal debate and discussion this was also passed.