$2.4 million raised for One Day for STATE

The+Cheer+and+Dance+Team+celebrate+at+the+One+Day+for+STATE+block+party+Sept.+7.+
Zoey Schentzel
The Cheer and Dance Team celebrate at the One Day for STATE block party Sept. 7.

With the help of 6,227 donors, last Thursday’s One Day for STATE raised $2,481,275 for students through the University. 

One Day for State, which is organized by the SDSU foundation, began in 2017. Last year, 5,882 donors donated $2,400,960. 

Although ODFS is a 24-hour event, the festivities began the day before, when Jack the Jackrabbit rode around Brookings with special guests, University President Barry Dunn, Paige Meyer from the SDSU women’s basketball team, and members of the SDSU spirit squad. 

The community was able to show its support and kickoff the biggest day of giving.  Dunn said that the anticipation is his favorite part of One Day for STATE. 

“I got to drive around Brookings yesterday for almost three hours,” he said.  “I had a blast. Little kids were waving and kids were just loving Jack. It was just absolutely fantastic. Can’t beat it.” 

The giving page opened at midnight, with donations immediately pouring in.  

Although the money is important, the foundation prioritizes increasing donors as it unlocks challenges and increases community involvement. A challenge is when funds unlock when a certain number of donors contribute. There were 615+ current SDSU students that made a gift this year. These donors unlocked a $5,250 gift from Daktronics. 

The Assistant Director of Loyalty Giving for the Foundation, Heidi Hopewell, highlights how the day is more of a celebration of SDSU. She says they are “always focusing on increasing donors instead of dollars.”  

There were 119 completed challenges this year. Donors could choose which University departments to donate to. Jackrabbits Athletics raised the most with $714,062. The College of Agriculture, Food, and Environmental Sciences raised the second most with $192,345. 

“Other universities are amazed with how we all come together. It’s not a day just for one certain college,” Hopewell said.  

The colleges and causes are not all that come together on One Day for STATE. From 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. the patio party took place. There were different colleges and sports teams lined up outside the Student Union to get students involved in the day. The softball and wrestling teams engaged in a friendly competition trying to get student donations. 

Chayanne Masterson, a senior on the SDSU softball team said, “Everyone here has been super receptive.”  

Tanner Cook, a grad student from the wrestling team added how One Day for State has grown during his time here. 

“This is my fifth year here and the athletics part of it has really grown,” he said. “At first it was just the colleges trying to get donors and now the athletes are getting more involved.” 

The softball team raised $52,093 and the wrestling team raised $64,924. 

The patio party was not the only celebration of the day. The Yellow and Blue Block Party was a night full of celebration. The party started with some rain showers, but the energy stayed strong and plenty of students, staff, and community were there to enjoy food trucks, a performance from the Pride of the Dakotas, SDSU ice cream, Jack the jackrabbit, the Bummobile, and lots of fun kid’s activities.  

Different colleges and organizations had booths to interact with the kids of the community.

“It was great to see the kids be able to use the technology that the college of Natural Sciences is actually developing,” Kennadie Martinsen, a junior double majoring in Geography and Geographic Information Sciences, said.

The college raised $147,800. 

Gracie Dose, a sophomore on the Hobo Day Committee said, “One Day for State means a lot because not only do we increase connection in the community but get out there and know that we are just funded by others support.” 

The Hobo Day Committee raised $21,559. 

Just like the day itself is about everyone coming together, Hopewell points out it is the same at the Foundation. Jennifer Mccloud, Heidi Hopewell, and Erin Glidden are on the One Day for State committee, but it would not be possible without the work everyone puts into it.  

There is already a board made up with new ideas for One Day for STATE 2024. The day has constantly grown since it started in 2017 thanks to new ideas and increased engagement. 

Even with COVID, rainy block parties, or any other obstacles, One Day for State has grown exponentially in support for South Dakota State University and has granted many opportunities to students’ together, Hopewell points out it is the same at the Foundation. 

Jennifer Mccloud, Heidi Hopewell, and Erin Glidden are on the One Day for State committee, but it would not be possible without the work everyone puts into it.  

Even with COVID, rainy block parties, or any other obstacles, One Day for State has grown exponentially in support for South Dakota State University and has granted many opportunities to students’ campus wide. 

“It’s such a unique blend of people who come together,” Steve Erpenbach, president and CEO of the SDSU Foundation said. “But the common bond among them all is their love for South Dakota State.” 

The final totals will be released by the SDSU Foundation on Thursday after the donor numbers are verified and mail in and in-person donations are counted.