SA letter outlining stance on Chick-fil-A’s arrival

admin

Disclosure: The following letter was released by the SDSU Students’ Association regarding their stance on the arrival of Chick-fil-A to campus.

June 13, 2012

We, as the executive committee for the SDSU Students’ Association, do support the decision to bring Chick-fil-A to campus as a food choice for students.

This decision was based on several conversations with individuals that have close connections with the perspectives that have been voiced. Chick-fil-A, as a product, meets the needs and desires of the large majority of the students of SDSU. In addition, each student reserves the right to choose which food services(s) to partake in.

By (1) looking at Chick-fil-A from an objective view of their business model, (2) comparing other colleges and universities that currently house Chick-fil-A as examples, (3) visiting with individuals for diverse perspectives on the depth of the concerns and (4) reviewing the process by which Chick-fil-A was chosen as well as the student input contained in the process; we conclude that Chick-fil-A is a suitable dining venue to bring to the SDSU campus. Furthermore, not to dismiss the concerns brought up against Chick-fil-A, we acknowledge that this brings light to a deeper underlying condition. This relates to the aspects of inclusion and open dialogue for every student on campus.

In reaction to these concerns, we support action steps and increased communication on how this concern might be addressed to improve the value of life for all students within the SDSU community. Specific steps may include: 1) dialogue dinners that bring groups of students with various background together, 2) a diversity series to engage students for a wider perspective and 3) open forums and round table discussions on multicultural cooperation.

Therefore, given the reasons stated above, we, the executive committee of the SDSU Students’ Association, support bringing Chick-fil-A to campus.

Jameson Berreth

President

Wyatt DeJong

Vice President

Benjamin Ruggeberg

Finance Chairperson

Jameson Goetz

State & Local Government Chairperson

Shannon LaJoie

Programming & Public Relations Chairperson