Current buzz on campus: Pentatonix is on its way

Leah Hagland

If you’ve been near the music department on campus lately, you’ve probably heard the latest buzz: Pentatonix is coming to SDSU.

Pentatonix, third season winners of NBC’s The Sing-Off, will be in concert at the Performing Arts Center on Sunday, Oct. 28, at 7:30 p.m. The Sing-Offis a show that features a cappella musical groups, and Pentatonix was a huge hit from the first time it walked on stage. The group consists of four male vocalists and one female vocalist, all delivering a unique style to their emerging music group. Their genre focus is broad; Pentatonix likes adding a unique style to current and popular songs.

Teressa Karl, senior secretary for the music department, cannot believe the response to the Pentatonix show. Nearly all the main floor center seats were sold after only two days of ticket sales.

“I have never seen a show go this fast,” Karl said just before picking up the phone for another Pentatonix fan. Her phone has been buzzing constantly, and it’s always someone interested in getting tickets for Pentatonix.

The concert is part of Woodbine Productions at SDSU. Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, all proceeds from the Woodbine Production series go directly to South Dakota State music scholarships. This year’s Woodbine Productions performances include Pentatonix, John Tesh Big Band Christmas Tour and Sir James Galway, a classical flute player.

Music Department Head David Reynolds said they are hoping to raise $85,000 through the three concerts this year. The money will benefit a variety of SDSU students.

“More than half of our music scholarships go to students not in the music program,” Reynolds said. Many of the scholarship recipients will be nursing, physics, engineering or other career field majors.

Pentatonix is certainly a dynamic group sure to deliver an exciting show. The music department is excited about the tremendous response they have seen so far.

“We fully expect this show to sell out,” Karl said.

If interested in tickets, head up to the second floor of Lincoln Music Hall. Tickets are $15 for main floor seating and $10 for balcony spots.

For more information on Woodbine Productions and Pentatonix, visit http://www.sdstate.edu/mus/outreach/woodbine/.