Hobos in the Park set for second year, outdoor music, activities scheduled

Noah Brown

SDSU’s second annual outdoor music festival Hobos in the Park will be held on Sept. 15 on Sylvan Green in the shadow of the Campanile. This year’s festival will include backyard games like the beanbag toss and concessions. The festival starts at 3 p.m. and is free to attend.

There will be $4 do-it-yourself tie-die shirts available along with popcorn, hotdogs, water and soda.

The festival saw success last year when around 250 people saw Avian Sunrise and We All Have Hooks for Hands headline. This year will showcase local talent once again with six bands total. Tinderbox will play at the festival for the second year. They are the defending champions of SDSU’s Battle of the Bands. The night will end with a performance from Later Babes at 7:15 p.m. They will be making their second appearance on campus after opening for Dan Deacon at last year’s Adult Swim Carnival.

Later Babes is a band that started as the brainchild of Isaac Show, a member of local hip-hop group Soulcrate. On their Facebook page they describe their genre as “Dance Tribal Beat Karaoke Mash-Up Freak Fest.” They specialize in live dance parties and have had recent success headlining the second stage at JazzFest in Sioux Falls, also drawing 700 people to a show outside the downtown Sioux Falls bar Tommy Jacks last month. Their music mixes popular and classic music together while performing drums and keys live. LISA, their first CD, is available as a free download on their Facebook page.

This year the festival will be held on the same day that the Jacks square off against UC Davis in the first home football game of the season, a decision made purposefully with the hope that more students will be on campus that weekend.

“Hopefully the football game means that more students will be around and excited,” says Jayme Stauffer, University Program Council Concert Coordinator.