Cavorts auditions to begin Sept. 27

Tamora Rosenbaum

SDSU is gearing up to celebrate 100 Years of Hobo Day, and many Hobo Day traditions are being approached differently for the occasion — including Cavorts. The almost brand-new board of students on the University Program Council (with the exception of the president and vice president) wants to make this year’s talent show something truly special.

“We’re switching some things up to give it our own twist,” said Nathan Langston, UPC board member and Cavorts coordinator.

The first auditions for Cavorts will take place Sept. 27 and go from 5 to 11 p.m. in the Performing Arts Center. This year there will be a second round of auditions on Oct. 5, also from 5 to 11 p.m. in the PAC. Each person will perform for five student judges. Langston said that the judging panel is excited to see the auditions.

“It’s kind of like American Idol — the auditions are the best part,” he said. “I can’t wait to see what everyone comes in with.”

After both audition sessions are over, the judges will collaborate and narrow down the acts to showcase the best variety. Past acts have included everything from singing and dancing to unicycling and juggling.

“We don’t want everything to be singing or dancing,” Langston said. “Even if you want to bring a horse on stage, we will find a way to get a horse on stage.”

Cavorts auditions are open to any students with any talent, though anything inappropriate “will entertain [the judges], for sure, but won’t make the final cut,” Langston said.

Those interested in auditioning for Cavorts can sign up for a time slot at Information Exchange in The Union at any time up to just before 5 p.m. on the day of the auditions. Those who show up for auditions without signing up for a spot will have to wait until the rest of the auditions are over to perform. Langston recommends auditioners show up 15-20 minutes early, ready to “blow the judges’ socks off.”

Cavorts tickets will be sold at Information Exchange at $5 for students and $7 for non-students. For more information, contact Nathan Langston at (218) 770-2941.