Students gain skills through career center

By Samantha Stahnke Reporter

The Student Engagement Center’s new location is in suite 136, three doors east from the University Bookstore, in The Union and helps students find opportunities in job shadowing, internships or part-time jobs. The center has walk-in hours, which vary from day to day to accommodate students’ schedules. 

From freshman to alumni, the Career Development Center provides workshops throughout the year on resume and cover letter writing, interview tips and preparation, social media awareness, networking and how to present yourself as a career professional in the eyes of future employers and current colleagues. 

Katrina Ruff, a junior mechanical engineer major said, “Resume workshop was very helpful to me, not only did I learn how to write a resume… I got several handouts to keep with me for handy references.” 

During walk-in hours, the faculty supports students on a first come, first serve basis.  The students receive 20 minutes to obtain answers to any career related questions. The workshops and walk-in hours for this semester are posted on the SDSU Career Development Facebook page. 

Stephanie Haines, a junior majoring in sociology, said “I visited the center and received reassurance on my career choice after discussing my online assessment results with staff.” 

Also online is the career management tool Campanile Connections. Once students have registered and created your profile, they have access to a number of resources such as the calendar for workshops and walk-in hours as well as the resource library.  Sample resumes, job interview tips, transferable skills outlines, along with multiple updated resume templates are available for use in the resource library. 

A Campanile Connections profile also provides a job search engine. Postings can be saved to a profile and students can sign up to receive email updates and new job postings related to their major. 

“Companies from all over the country contact the center weekly on how to hire more Jackrabbits,” said Associate Director of the Career Development Center Sherry Bordewyk. 

The Career Development Center also offers the Four Year Plan. 

“We are here for assistance, but you have to take steps to get involved,” Bordewyk said. “This checklist is not set in stone, but it provides many helpful reminders and options for each year so that the career finding procedure will not bombard your weeks or days away from receiving your diploma.”