Hobo Day statues are the perfect touch

Editorial Staff

Issue: Hobo Day statues celebrate the history of Hobo Day 

We all know that Hobo Day is unique. And if you’re new to SDSU, you’ll learn that for the first time on Saturday. There’s only one day like it a year and it’s a special time to do floats and football and then go have some fun after that. And even now, in its 99th version, the celebration is evolving. 

We’ve heard the saying before about how “Hobo Day is really for the alumni” and to be honest, we’ve scoffed at that notion. Because students are the ones who are out bumming meals, building the floats and are putting the whole show on. But the celebration is certainly shared with the thousands of Jackrabbits who graduated from SDSU over the years. They enjoy the parade and the events and camaraderie shared with the students at their college right now. 

All of this brings us to the two pieces of art that will officially be unveiled Friday, Oct. 4 – Weary Wil and his friend Dirty Lil. Hundreds of students have dressed up as both and when those alumni of the university do come back to check out campus, they’ll likely strike their eyes on the two eight-foot statues of Wil and Lil. And then their minds will go back to when they were in their 20s, planning Hobo Day or building a float or watching football or celebrating homecoming with their best friends on the side of 6th St. or Medary Ave. 

When you think about what those statues mean to alumni who come back to Brookings for one day or two or three each fall, those statues will be a reminder of all of that and that’s pretty cool. 

The addition of Dirty Lil to the already in place Weary Wil will complete something very unique to SDSU. Other universities have statues or landmarks but nothing quite like this. In particular this year, we’re celebrating the role of women in Hobo Day, including some of the ladies who helped originate the traditions we have today. Women have always been an important part of the celebration but now that’s immortalized forever in Dirty Lil, who stands proud and confident on SDSU’s campus. 

In particular, SDSU and its students, alumni, faculty and staff should be thanked for what has been built for a homecoming on this campus and its unique traits. There’s a lot of proud Jackrabbits who will be happy to be in Brookings Saturday, including Wil and Lil who will bring smiles to Hobos for generations to come. 

Stance: The addition of the statues unites SDSU students in celebration of the university and its homecoming.