Unique traditions remain strong, as does SDSU pride

Maddi Anderson Opinion Editor

To an outsider, Hobo Day, and the week-long celebration, can be just a little bit intimidating. Actually, I can tell you from first-hand experience, it’s extremely intimidating. Everyone walks around dressed as hobos, there is a pageant called “Miss Homelycoming,” and many other countless other traditions. 

As this is my third Hobo Day at SDSU, I have now grown accustomed to all of the festivities and join in whole-heartedly. I mean let’s be honest, you can’t avoid the hustle and bustle of Hobo Day … the excitement draws you in. 

Coincidentally, as a senior in high school, I chose to tour SDSU on a long weekend fall break. Little did I know, I was in for a real, genuine, SDSU experience. 

The week I toured, happened to be Hobo Week. My tour guide informed me that I should consider myself ‘lucky’ because he normally preferred not to shower during the Hobo Week celebration. I can tell you, my immediate impression was concern. I also wondered what in the world was going on at this school. As my tour guide rambled on about various traditions at SDSU during the week, I couldn’t help but be distracted by all of the activity going on around me. I was amazed that something that sounded so foreign to me was the cause of all the excitement that was taking place. 

Even though I was slightly intimidated by the craziness of Hobo Day, I made the decision to come to SDSU the following fall. I haven’t regretted it since. 

Hobo Day is all about tradition and community. It brings everyone at SDSU, past and current, together once a year to celebrate our university and the connections we have built. It is a celebration for the students, faculty and alumni. For one week, everyone unites and participates in a large variety of events that have been taking place for years. 

Three years later, I am the one explaining to all of my friends from high school why Hobo Day is so fun and exciting. Since they don’t participate in the event and they don’t go to school here, they share the same concerns that I did when I toured. “You dress up as hobos … for fun?” they ask. 

My answer? Yes. But Hobo Day is so much more than just dressing up for fun. The enthusiasm for Hobo Day is what makes it special. Participation in all of the activities and events makes it special. As Jackrabbits, our school spirit is something we can be proud of. 

For the record, I have to admit that I choose not to take part in the week without showers, that tradition I leave for others who are tougher than I. –

However you choose to celebrate, make sure you don’t take this week for granted. You won’t find another school with traditions as strong or as unique as SDSU. Where else can you find students sleeping outside in cardboard shanties or bumming a meal out in the community? It’s a week full of spirit and Jackrabbit pride. Don’t miss out. 

Madison Anderson is the Opinion Editor at The Collegian. She can be reached at [email protected]