Resolution gives support for stadium

By HEIDI KRONAIZL News Editor

On Monday, Students’ Association signed Resolution 13-05-R, which expresses their support for the new football stadium and they will continue discussing a potential general activity fee increase if needed.

“I feel this is really well written … this completely summarizes everything that has been brought up,” Sen. Bryce Kummer said.

In addition to the resolution, the senate created an amendment to clearly state the conditions if there were to be a general activity fee increase. The amendment states if a GAF increase were to take place that SA would follow the GAF policy guidelines, along with a formal recommendation from the UAFBC, a group composed of various students and faculty.

“This assures us … that if they do need the fees, we have the proper chance,” State and Local Chair Caleb Finck said.

Before the resolution was passed, there was a large debate over whether or not the resolution was supporting a GAF increase.

“I have no intentions of this being ‘okay we approve of the GAF increase’ … we haven’t made a decision on whether or not we approve of this increase,” SA President Ben Stout said.

Because the senate has not yet made a decision on a GAF increase, the Resolution 13-05-R extends the timeline of the potential increase. SA’s goal for deciding on whether or not to support the increase is to have made a decision by December. 

Discussion of supporting the stadium emotionally and financially has been occurring for several weeks with the senate. A GAF increase may be needed for the new stadium. If needed, the fee increase would range from 75 cents to $2 per credit hour. The increase would be a special allocation, in which athletics would only receive the money one time. Student fees cannot be used towards the 

construction of the building, but rather to maintain the stadium. The increase would be strictly to cover the extra costs, and will not take away money from other projects to fulfill the allocation. It can take up to a year for athletics to decide whether or not they need the increase.

“Our goal is to not use any student fees,” Director of Athletics Justin Sell said.

Various speakers such as Sell, the Vice President of Business and Finance Wes Tschetter and President David Chicoine attended meetings to discuss the project and it’s funding. While the final costs and details of the project have yet to be determined, the project will be taking the next step to be approved by the state legislature.

“We hope that we can get some better numbers [on the stadium] very quick,” Chicoine said at the Nov. 4 meeting. “If whatever the chance, the construction costs go over that number, they [construction company] will eat that price.”

Athletics is currently trying to raise funds for the stadium construction project. A portion of the funds will come from donations and selling suites in the stadium. The other portion used to fund the project will be the selling of bonds. Approximately $40 – $45 million will need to be allocated from bonds.

“Ultimately, we are looking at the total number we are going to have to borrow, that’s going to drive our discussion,” Sell said at the Nov. 4 meeting. “We will always build what we can afford. Hopefully we can build a little credibility with the indoor practice facility.” 

While the plans for building the stadium are underway, there is still a lot of planning that needs to be done.

“We’re about 90 percent done conceptually and 10 percent with design [with the stadium],” Sell said.

The University Police Department will be located in the new stadium after it has been completed. Their offices will be funded by the University, and will not be put on to the athletics’ fundraising.

The stadium is predicted to last 50 years, and will be built with opportunities to expand onto the facility.