Capers to showcase student talent

Kaylen Larson

It’s that time of year again: Capers.  Originally founded by Alpha Psi Omega, the theatre fraternity on campus as a way to raise money for scholarships, service projects and theatre trips, Capers has become a student written and produced production.  Formerly known as the music revue “Cottontail Capers,” the event put on today has evolved to include music, dance and skits.  Think Saturday Night Live SDSU style.

“Capers has been a wonderful part of my college experience all three years that I have been in it.  It is very fun and entertaining,” said junior Early Childhood Education major Kortney Nelson. “So come out and see the show, it is going to be awesome.” 

Characters to anticipate in this year’s show include Miley Cyrus, Spiderman, the Orbitz Lady, UPD, 300 Spartan, Mr. Clean, Dr. Phil and more.  I can’t give everything away, but expect a dance number to Ke$ha’s hit song, “Timber.”

Capers’ advisor and theatre professor Lonnie Wilburn said that we can look forward to “a Capers that is witty, funny and showcases the talent on SDSU’s campus.”

This year, there was an additional requirement put in place to participate in the show. Although there has always been an alcohol policy put in place by the university, as Capers is an alcohol-free production, the difference this year is that each member of Capers was required to sign a policy stating they had read and agreed to adhere to it, Wilburn said.

Tickets are on sale now in the Performing Arts Center from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., at the Information Desk in the Union from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., or by phone at 605-688-6045.  Shows run from Jan. 28 to Feb. 1 at 7:30 p.m. and an additional show at 2 p.m on Feb. 1.   Student tickets are $9, Adults are $11 and reserved seating is $13.

This is the first year that Natalie Sogn, a sophomore Economics major, has been in Capers. “I’ve met an amazing group of people from it.  Get your tickets now, ladies and gentleman.  You won’t regret it,” Sogn said.