Big time beauty, small town feel

Maddi Anderson Managing Editor

Brookings has approximately 10 salons that offer a variety of services from haircuts and color to massages and tanning. According to the Students’ Choice survey, students on SDSU’s campus are attracted to the amenities offered at Great Clips , KRAVE the Experience and Carousel Beauty Salon.

Female students selected Carousel Beauty Salon as their choice for salon. Carousel offers a large variety of services including facials, hair amenities and tanning. According to Jan Anderson, owner of Carousel Beauty Salon, they are one of the best salons in Brookings due to their versatility. “You can get just about anything a woman would need, or a man for that matter,” Anderson said. 

Carousel like many salons, offers a selection of hair and beauty products for sale. 

“I look for good hair products, and I would say the stylist is important. I want someone who is easy to talk to and that is good at their job,” said Brandi Antonsen, SDSU freshman, who goes to b.beautiful located in Old Market. Antonsen said that the fact that they are locally owned also attracts her to the salon.

KRAVE the Experience, voted best for manicure/pedicure and massage, also offers waxing and an additional accessories section. “Especially from the female side, the accessories have been a great addition, it was very popular throughout the holidays and Valentine’s Day,” said Marty K. Syrstad, owner of KRAVE. The salon allows people to book 24 hours a day seven days a week via their website.

“We are the only salon that has a wine and malt liquor license, so people can enjoy a glass of wine or hard cider, or even a beer,” Syrstad said. They are unique because they offer an upscale spa atmosphere and clients receive high quality care and service according to Syrstad. They also have the convenience factor of multiple massage therapists and nail technicians. 

Great Clips was selected as the choice for men’s salon in Brookings. Located in Village Square, a large percentage of the clientele are male, according to Shawna Asmus, a stylist at Great Clips. “It’s quick and easy to get in,” Asmus said. The salon does not require appointments and the clients can check-in online. The salon is also open on Sundays and is close to the college campus, which provides a convenience factor. 

“I like to be able to talk freely with the person that cuts my hair, and I get a student discount,” said Nathan Langston, SDSU junior, who goes to Sunflower Salon & Spa in Brookings for his haircuts.

“I don’t think we’ve ever had too many people upset about their haircuts, we do a good job,” said Dana Lovett, stylist at Great Clips. The salon has been open in Brookings for almost 15 years, according to Asmus, which means they are well known in the area. 

Salons in Brookings are able to provide a small-town atmosphere while still providing plenty of options to residents. Anderson said, “I love Brookings, it’s small enough but big enough, it’s the best of both worlds … I feel privileged that so many people like our place.”