Africa Night shows traditions

By EMILY BOUTA Juice Editor

Comedy, food and dancing were all major topics at this year’s Africa Night. The SDSU African Students’ Association held the event in the Volstroff Ballroom on Sunday, Feb. 23. Hosted by Ebenezer Appiagyei, graduate research assistant and Christophina Lynch, college of pharmacy. It started off with a prayer from Pastor Dave Kaufman and continued on with the ASA president, Eric Boakye’s, welcome speech. 

A short speech by ASA advisor Emmanuel Byamukama, or Dr. B, showed how many members of ASA are truly involved. There are students here on campus from 32 different countries. Of those students, 98 are African American and 63 percent of those students are graduate students, according to Byamuama. 

“The three most important things when visiting a new country is food, the beats and costumes. So that is what I want to happen tonight, I would like you all to know more about Africa,” Byamuama said. 

After Byamukama’s speech, the parade of nations began. SDSU students walked out onto the stage with a flag from each country. From Algeria to South Africa, each place had their own colors.

Once the flag demonstration was over, it was time for food. There was a large variety of rice and meat. The traditional African food was, “Americanized” according to Appiagyei. 

A tribute to Nelson Mandela was presented as well. They showed how Mandela’s life transformed not only Africa, but also the surrounding continents. 

The first dance was by the UBY Wenge dancers, who came all the way from Congo. The group also danced after the presentation about Africa’s wealth. But before the presentation a skit about the African traditional baby naming ceremony took place. Then there was more dancing by an all-girls group called Halla & Co., which consisted of four girls. 

After the dancing was over, a presentation called the 13 months of sunshine was presented. The presentation was about how modern Africa really is. It showed that the country is not the poor third-world country that we think it is, according to Ermias Lamesign, SDSU student. The presentation was named after the fact that Ethiopia has a 13-month calendar. The first 12 months have 30 days and the 13th month has only five or six days, according to Lamesign. 

Africa Night ended with a fashion show that featured outfits worn in modern day Africa.