GreenWeek 2014 to promote sustainabilty

Staff Reports

It’s time for GreenWeek 2014. GreenWeek 2014 will be held during the week of April 28 to May 2. The events are being planned by the SDSU: Environmental Stewardship & Sustainability Council (ESSC), according to Shelly Brandenburger, GreenWeek 2014 coordinator. 

“We began planning late last fall and have worked to coincide our week-long event with the city-wide “Earth Day” events happening the weekend of May 3 to 4,” Brandenburger said. “The Student Sustainability Council will be serving SDSU ice cream at the city’s event on Sunday so there’s really been a lot of partnership on these events.”

GreenWeek is meant to show the different ways to be green. 

“In a nutshell, the event will consist of tables (booths/displays/posters) along Main Street in The Union all week (10 a.m. to 2 p.m.) and speakers scheduled throughout the week,” Brandenburger said.

Even though it’s Earth Day event weather has caused events to be pushed back. 

“While they are being dubbed Earth Day events, they are being celebrated a little after Earth Day,” Brandenburger said.

The week has some events that mean a little more than others.

“Included in the week is a “combo event” from the Brookings Sustainability Council (BSC) and the SDSU: ESSC. Which is bringing in a display from B-Cycle, the bike share program. Dr. Alvaro Garcia, SDSU professor, has been working to explore bringing a bike share program to Brookings,” Brandenburger said.

The display of the bike will be set up on the west lawn of The Union on Wednesday of the week.

“Also during GreenWeek, students/staff/faculty will be able to stop by the booth being co-sponsored by the ESSC & SSC and sign their ‘Sustainability Pledge’ and pick up a button. The student sustainability pledge is a graduation pledge,” Brandenburger said.

According to an announcement made by Doug Raynie, chair of environmental stewardship and sustainability committee, students can make a variety of pledges to become devoted to sustainability and the environment.

The pledges taken are: 

Graduating Seniors

“I pledge to explore and take into account the social and environmental consequences of any job I consider and will try to improve these aspects of any organizations for which I work.”

Returning Students

“I pledge to explore social and environmental sustainability in the courses that I take and will try to improve these aspects of my life as a student.”

Faculty

“I pledge to explore and promote the social and environmental consequences related to the subject matter of my courses and will try to challenge students to consider these aspects in their student life.”

Nonfaculty Exempt and Career Service

“I pledge to explore and take into account the social and environmental consequences of my work responsibilities and will try to improve these aspects for the SDSU community.”

The ESSC has created the pledges for students so they can “demonstrate their commitment to sustainability” according to Raynie. The pledeges will be available in The Union during GreenWeek for students to sign.