Political Parties

Josiah Jorenby Reporter

Democrats

If you would like to actively support Democratic candidates, such as by walking in the Hobo Day Parade and would like to help promote interest in politics on campus, you may want to consider joining the SDSU College Democrats. 

According to the SDSU College Democrats Facebook page, their mission is “to operate and maintain a grassroots network of young people that is open, inclusive and accessible to all; a community organization that reaches out to all races, sexes, minorities and youth, increasing participation by Democrats in local issues and elections and serving as the focus for election of Democrats to local, state and national offices.” 

Though they usually support Democratic candidates, the College Democrats stress that they are not a mere mouthpiece or tool of the Democratic Party. Nicholas French, vice president of media for the SDSU College Democrats, said that the College Democrats are not political pawns. 

“We believe that we are informed individuals who think for ourselves,” he said.

The College Democrats are striving to become more active on campus and locally during elections. 

During the 2014 Midterm elections, the College Democrats volunteered with the Brookings Democrats in helping to promote several local, state and federal candidates. They organized a group to walk at the Hobo Day parade and made several phone calls to promote candidates. 

The College Democrats have started a new strategy on campus to promote participation in politics, said Carter Christensen. 

“My personal goal is to get people talking and to get people educated about politics,” Christensen said. 

He said that political organizations, like the College Democrats, need to get people involved and knowledgeable on some of the things that our government does. 

“I think it is absolutely so critical for people our age to get informed about a lot of this stuff,” Christensen said. 

According to Christensen, by joining a political organization you will not only get informed, you will also help to promote change and political progress.

VS.

Republicans

If you want to get involved in political campaigns that support Republican candidates and help engage young voters and inform students about politics, you may want to consider joining the SDSU College Republicans.

According to the SDSU College Republicans Facebook page, they work to cultivate Republican ideas on campus, provide opportunities for members to get involved in politics, and assist Republican candidates at all levels.

“Our priorities are helping Republican candidates locally and statewide get elected to office, educating people about conservative principles and values and hanging out while spreading the Republican message,” said Joe Schartz, chairman of the College Republicans. 

He says participating in a political organization, like the College Republicans is part business and part fun. 

“Sometimes its nose to the grindstone and working to get candidates elected and other times it’s just relax and talk about things that are happening in the world,” Schartz said.

According to Schartz, the College Republicans do a lot of campaign work. During midterms, they helped out at a voting center, helped work the phones at the Brookings Republicans Headquarters, walk in support of candidates, handed out literature and went door to door promoting candidates. 

Andrew Kapperman, vice-chairman of the College Republicans, said that one of the biggest things the College Republicans want to do is help political candidates connect with the younger generations of voters and get them engaged and informed about politics. 

“They are looking toward leader types like us to connect with them and get them active in politics,” Kapperman said. 

Schartz said that being involved in any political organization was beneficial because it helps you to become aware about what your government is doing. Schartz explained that being a part of a political organization, like the College Republicans, can make an impact.

“It allows you to give back to your state, your country and your community,” Schartz said.