South Dakota Children’s Museum

Childrens Museum of South Dakota

BY MAKENZIE HUBER News Editor

The Children’s Museum of South Dakota is “where imaginations are as big as our skies” and where even big kids can still have fun.

The museum is $6 per person and is open from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday, noon to 5 p.m. on Sunday and is closed most Mondays.

The museum has won multiple awards for its building, attractions and more.  Children are encouraged to learn through play in a “welcoming, fun and entertaining environment,” according to the museum’s Director of Marketing Randy Grimsley.

Over 100,000 people have explored the museum, and Grimsley encouraged students to be a part of this number.

“College kids don’t think of us,” Grimsley said. “We’re right in their backyard and it would be wonderful to welcome more students.”

Café Cateau is located within the museum and is open 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday, noon to 5 p.m. on Sunday and is closed most Mondays. There is no admission cost to eat at the café.

“People come to hang out like a coffee shop, but in a fun atmosphere,” Grimsley said. “Students can come there and get off campus, especially as it gets warmer.”

Although it is the only official museum in the area labeled specifically for children, the Children’s Museum will also host a Big Kid at Heart night where “big kids” 21 and over will be able to explore the museum after hours in an adult fashion.