Campus health groups should broaden focus

The Collegian Staff

Issue:

There are a multitude of health-related organizations on campus, but they are mostly focused on physical health. 

Stance: 

With a few small improvements, the multiple health-related groups on campus can make a greater impact on the student body.

Staying healthy and living an active lifestyle are important to leading a fulfilling life, especially as a student. On campus, there are multiple organizations related to health and geared toward keeping students healthy. These groups include HEROH, SDSU Health, GetFruved and Lost & Found, just to name a few. 

There’s one problem with these groups — they focus mainly on physical health over mental health. HEROH and Lost & Found do an adequate job on covering mental health, but there could still be improvements. While being physically healthy is important, mental health is just as important. If students are mentally unhealthy, that can lead to students becoming physically unhealthy, which is not good. 

That’s what these groups are here for — to keep students healthy. However, we at The Collegian believe that there could be a few improvements in the way they go about their business. In order to reach a larger audience, these groups should find ways for existing clubs to incorporate activities to promote mental health. 

While GetFruved and SDSU Health are shiny and new, they also focus a majority of their attention on freshmen. If they expand their focus to look at the entire student body, that will boost their outreach and help more students stay healthy. They can also make themselves a little more accessible to students. The more accessible a group is, the more likely they can connect with students. 

Another way these groups can be more successful on campus is if they have more events that are topic specific. An example of this was the Sex & Excess event. The speaker at this event made it very easy for students to relate and understand a somewhat touchy and uncomfortable subject. If there are more speakers and events like this, the general student population can learn about specific topics they are interested in. 

Overall SDSU has a lot of great health-related groups on campus, but with a few small improvements, they can be even better. Simply focusing more on mental health, being more accessible to the student body and having more topic-specific events, they can have a greater impact.

The Collegian staff meets weekly and agrees on the issue of the editorial.

The editorial represents the opinion of The Collegian