Students notified about on-campus sexual assault

SARA BERTSCH Editor-in-Chief

The South Dakota State campus received a timely warning notification on Tuesday notifying students of a sexual assault that occurred on campus. 

The assault was reported by a female student and took place Sept. 27 in her on-campus residence.

In the timely warning provided to all students, it said the female victim knew the suspect.

The University Police Department is investigating the case. 

The timely warning was sent out in a campus-wide email, which is required by the Jeanne Clery Act. The act requires colleges and universities to disclose information about crime reported on and around campus.

“The reason we do this is to not just make sure people are aware but make people aware and reduce the likelihood to happen to them,” said Don Challis, assistant vice president for safety and security. 

A timely warning is issued after the incident has already occurred. It contains information about the incident and how to prevent and avoid similar situations in the future.

The Clery Act requires the information be issued as soon as the pertinent details are available. Once all of the facts of a criminal incident have been found, the warning will be sent out.

UPD can be contacted by dialing 111 from a campus phone or 911 from a cellular phone. The UPD non-emergency number is 688-5117.