Senate discusses sexual assaults, Hobo Day committee in Monday meeting

Sexual assault reporting and the Hobo Day Committee were among several topics discussed at this week’s Students’ Association meeting on Monday.

Senator Nathan Condelli, from the Safety and Security Committee, addressed the issue of sexual assaults on campus during the Committee Reports portion of the meeting.

The increase in reports does not necessarily mean there is an increase in overall sexual assaults, Condelli said. Instead, it may be that more people have started to report the assaults. The committee learned this from Assistant Vice President of Safety and Security Don Challis.

Five sexual assaults have been reported since the beginning of the academic year. Four sexual assaults were reported in 2014.

Although the sexual assaults are not a good thing, the increase in reports reveals that people are saying something, said Sam Jennings, the SA Adviser and Dean of Students.

“I encourage people to continue to report, continue to say ‘this is wrong, this is not acceptable,’” Jennings said.

The Senate moved on to the first reading of resolution 15-10-R, which recognized the Hobo Day Committee for the organization’s efforts in preparing and executing the Hobo Day celebration.

The Senate suspended a rule to have two weeks between a first reading and voting so they could vote to pass the resolution.

SA President Caleb Finck said the Hobo Day Committee represented the student body well and Hobo Day was “executed perfectly.”

“I think it was a great Hobo Day had by all,” Finck said.

The next SA meeting will be Monday, Nov. 9 in the Lewis and Clark room in The Union.