Inspiring students to follow through and do what they set their minds to

KATHERINE CLAYTON Managing Editor

University Program Council and various colleges across campus are co-sponsoring a speaker to inspire students to be more accountable.

On Feb. 17 at 7 p.m. Alex Sheen will give his presentation, Because I Said I Would, at the Performing Arts Center.

The sponsors for the event are UPC, Van D. and Barbara B. Fishback Honors College, the College of Nursing, the College of Arts and Sciences, the College of Agricultural and Biological Sciences, the College of Education and Human Sciences, the College of Pharmacy and Student Affairs.

Tickets are available through Information Exchange or one of the college sponsors. Students who buy tickets through a sponsor of the event can attend a meet -and -greet before Sheen’s speech. There will also be a general meet -and -greet following the event.

“We’re really excited to be co–sponsoring with all of the colleges,” said Cole Hinz said, a sophomore apparel merchandising major and the social awareness coordinator for UPC. “Hopefully, it gets everyone involved on campus and makes it a big event.”

This is one of the first times the colleges have helped co–sponsor with UPC to bring a speaker or event to campus. Hinz thought including the colleges in sponsoring the event would create a “direct connection between getting students involved.”

Hinz said UPC wanted to bring Sheen to campus because multiple members of the UPC office had heard him speak and were inspired by his experiences and advice.

“[He] makes you really think about what you are doing with your time and everything,” Hinz said.

Some of the topics Sheen addresses in his speech are accountability, volunteerism, unhappiness and peace.

“I hope that he can inspire the students to hold true to their promises,” Hinz said. “I hope that everyone can take a page from his book. I hope they can learn from him and realize they can make a difference whether it’s a small promise or their own goal. Hopefully, they can realize they can reach it and they should try everything they can to get to their goal.”