EdgeBrook Golf Course to offer student discounts

NICK GOEMAN Sports Reporter

Brothers Gary and Randy Moen took over at EdgeBrook last winter after the city accepted their plans to improve the course.

The Moen brothers came out of retirement to take over the course after careers in the criminal justice system, and they have been trying to grow the number of memberships among college students.

“All the college kids that come in are going to get a special rate,” Randy Moen said. 

College students can golf at EdgeBrook for $19 for nine holes or $31 for 18 holes and a cart. The rate for unlimited golf starts at $199 and $399 for unlimited golf plus a half cart package. The course also offers a par-3 course for $5 during the week and $7 on the weekends.

Deals also include a reduced price throughout the summer for students who stay in Brookings. 

They offer $2 to $3 beers and $2 soda, tea and lemonade for happy hour deals everyday. 

“I have been golfing at EdgeBrook for two years because the prices are low,” Elliot Sammons, a South Dakota State University senior, said. “It’s a beautiful course that offers some difficulty but not enough to stray away from the casual golfer.”

EdgeBrook is willing to hire students who are looking for part-time or full-time jobs. The course also has volunteer opportunities, like helping out with their youth golf programs. 

Besides targeting college students to boost membership, EdgeBrook joined GreatLIFE last March to give players more variety with courses. GreatLIFE is a fitness and golf club based in Sioux Falls, but has made partnerships in nearby areas to increase gym and golf course variety.

Members pay a solid rate each month to play golf at all of the courses for no additional fee other than the price of the cart fee at that course.

“It helps our members be able to go play other courses and then we can get other GreatLIFE members in the door to play here at the price of a cart fee,” Randy Moen said.

The Moen brothers have worked to improve the golf course by addressing a few necessary fixes that prohibited golf last year, the main problem being the drainage issues on the front nine holes of the course. Moen thinks there is a natural water spring under the course, which caused water to settle on top of the grounds.

The city completed a $300,000 project this spring that installed new drain tile underneath the course and built the grounds up for proper drainage.

“We are just beginning to experience the results of the project and by all accounts from our golf course maintenance staff, clubhouse manager and golfers the feedback has been very positive,” said Dan Brettschneider, Parks, Recreation and Forestry director. “The drainage is performing as planned and will definitely make the golf experience much better for our patrons.”

During construction of the course, the city also put in two ponds to help with the drainage issues on the front nine.

The clubhouse was a point of interest for the Moen’s as well, wanting to improve customer service and foster a friendly atmosphere. New chairs and tables were added after a sizable renovation to the main room.

“Before the 2016 golf season began, we updated the carpet, kitchen flooring, rearranged the layout and installed new restroom amenities in the clubhouse,” Brettschneider said.

According to Gary Moen, all the work has made a difference, since memberships have gone up almost $50,000 from 2015 and $70,000 from 2014.