SA discusses Wellness Center and Luke Bryan

Almost half of the planned Wellness Center expansion isn’t going to happen.

A lack of funding partially cut the proposed expansion of the fitness center. Health service expansions will continue as planned, said Doug Wermedal, associate vice president for Student Affairs, during the Aug. 29 open forum portion of the Students’ Association meeting.

The updated project will still include a multipurpose activity center (MAC) gym, an outdoor area and racquetball courts, Wermedal said. Plans for an aerobics center are still undecided.

Originally, the expansion was $19.7 million and is now an expected $12 million.

Wermedal plans to bring the new expansion plan to the South Dakota Board of Regents in October.

Wermedal also said SA will distribute wristbands in exchange for redeemed students tickets. The first 800 redeemed student tickets will be upgraded to the VIP area starting at 6 p.m. Monday, Sept. 5.

Jennifer McLaughlin, sustainability specialist, also spoke during the open forum.

This semester there will be a change to the lids of the recycling containers across campus. McLaughlin said the recycle lids would be changed to blue instead of green. She is encouraging senators, faculty, staff and students to take the Sustainability Pledge.

The Pledge is encouraging people to stick to the three pillars of sustainability: environment, social and economy. McLaughlin’s goal is to have 200 faculty and staff and 300 students take the pledge.

The Students’ Association unanimously passed Ordinance 16-01-0, “Year-to-Year Operation of Special Funds (Special Allocation Fund, New Venture Fund, Speaker Fund).” The ordinance reduces unneeded financial turnover and pressure on SA’s annual budgeting cycle.

There will be no SA meeting Monday, Sept. 5. The next meeting will be at 7 p.m. Sept. 12 in the Lewis and Clark room on the Upper Level of The Union.