President Dunn puts spin on inauguration

GARRETT AMMESMAKI Reporter

The thought of presidential inaugurations may bring to mind black ties, champagne glasses and expensive jewelry flashing underneath dim and refined chandelier lighting.

But President Barry Dunn is doing something different and making his inauguration for the record books.

“This one is pretty unusual,” Dunn said.

The plan for the inauguration is to break the world record for most Frisbee’s thrown at the same time. Dunn and Jamison Lamp, events coordinator, are hoping 2,000 students and faculty will help break the record.

But Dunn isn’t just counting Frisbees.

“We’re going to have fun,” Dunn said. “Having fun will count the most.”

The Frisbee throw is at 5 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 28, on the Jackrabbit Green. The event starts with yard games hosted by Greek Life. All students and faculty are encouraged to arrive at 4 p.m. for the games, which include giant Jenga, bean bags and ladder golf.

There will be a free picnic afterward and Jackstock, an outdoor music festival, will be later in the evening.

Dunn learned how to throw Frisbees during his freshman year at SDSU and for his inauguration he wanted to share that experience with students.

“We have to take things seriously and work hard at all we do,” Dunn said, “but we also need to know how to have fun.”

Lamp said the best way for students to help out is to show up.

“It’s a momentous event and historic when it happens, and I think taking part in that event when you have the opportunity is important,” Lamp said.

Kendra Black, an exploratory studies major, said she wasn’t sure if she would want to partake in the ceremony.

“It’s funny,” Black said. “(But) I’d rather watch.”

The official inaugural ceremony will take place at 3 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 29, on the Coolidge Sylvan Green. Students and faculty are invited to listen to President Dunn’s speech and witness him take his place as the 20th president of the university.