We’re part of a living legacy

RACHEL ASTLEFORD Columnist

I’ve been hearing about South Dakota State’s Hobo Day since I was a toddler. 

Although I grew up five hours away from Brookings, my family still supported the Jackrabbits, and I remember seeing clips of the Hobo Day parade and football game on our TV screen. 

At that time, college seemed far off, and I always wondered what it’d be like to be a part of SDSU, especially during Hobo week.

Now I know. 

People live and breathe the Hobo Day traditions during this week. I honestly can’t express how much fun it is to be part of a school that shows so much spirit. 

And it’s not just SDSU. 

The Brookings community is supportive beyond belief of Hobo Week traditions. 

Gas stations and restaurants express their support for the Jacks on all their signs and windows. 

The decks and front yards of the residential community are decked out with SDSU flags and Jackrabbit gear. 

All of this is part of the blue and yellow sea. 

But that’s not even the beginning. 

On campus, there’s a hype at all hours of the day. 

Most kids haven’t slept for a couple days, but they’re not complaining because it’s Hobo Week after all. 

The Union is constantly buzzing — trying to get homework done there is impossible. But let’s be honest, homework definitely takes a backseat during this week. Luckily, most professors understand this and try to let the students enjoy the week.

Most students will only get to experience Hobo Week four times. Therefore, we need to participate in it as much as we can. 

We need to dive into the whole experience and engulf ourselves in it. 

That’s what I plan on doing. 

It’s the one week out of the whole year that gives you a reason to dress like a hobo and not shave — that’s reason enough to celebrate. 

We are part of a living legacy. 

I’ll be able to tell my kids some wild stories about Hobo Week and they’ll wonder what it’s actually like, just like I once did. 

Hopefully someday, they’ll get to experience it. 

Because in my case, that little toddler who once wondered what Hobo Week was like now has her answer. 

I couldn’t be any happier.

Rachel Astleford is a nutrition and dietetics major at SDSU and can be reached at [email protected]