SA discusses meeting efficiency in first meeting

%C2%A0%C2%A0

EMILY DEWAARD News Editor

Senators called for Students’ Association to uphold the representative duty of carrying out business effectively to serve students of South Dakota State University at their first meeting of the spring semester. 

Ordinance 16-03-O called attention to senators’ concern that the timeliness of distribution of meeting agendas, legislative items and related materials may interfere with SA’s ability to effectively executes duties. Passing this resolution would make sure bill materials would be sent to senators at least a week before the next SA meeting.

Senators will debate and vote on the ordinance at the next SA meeting.

In the Topics for Future Discussion portion of the meeting, former Sen. Danielle Rang, representing the at-large SDSU community, announced her resignation through a letter. Sen. Amanda Dickinson, representing the College of Pharmacy and Allied Health Professions, also announced her resignation at the meeting. 

This opens up two more available at-large senate positions due to senator resignations. There are currently five senator positions open. SA is accepting applications over the next week.

In the Committee and Staff Reports portion of the meeting, senators and advisers covered multiple topics including:

• The starts of a provost search.
  • Jacks Club Hub, a software making it easier for students to connect with campus organizations. It launched with 186 student groups contacted to join and should be released to all students in February.
  • The upcoming Week of Wellness will be Monday, Jan. 23 through Jan. 27. This is a continued effort to promote mental well-being on campus.
  • There will be a strategic planning meeting for the university in the Volstorff Ballroom at 3:30 p.m. Friday, Jan. 13 where President Barry Dunn will deliver the state of South Dakota State address and announcements.

The next SA meeting will be held Monday, Jan. 23 at 7 p.m. in the Lewis and Clark room in The Union.