Little international

Little International is 5 to 9 p.m. March 31, and from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. April 1, in the Animal Science Arena.

Becky Starkenburg

SDSU hosted Little International (Little I) on March 30 and March 31 in the Animal Science Arena.

The event is one of the longest-standing traditions on campus and this year’s theme was “Cultivating Our Future.” Little I presents the opportunity for high school and college students to participate in judging and showing livestock. The contests ranged anywhere from livestock judging, to natural resource competitions, to meat products judging.

The morning program started at 7:30 a.m. and the evening program at 6 p.m. Events included the Ag and Bio Teacher of the Year announcement, an exotic showmanship competition among professors and other faculty, and an auctioneer contest.

Dr. Cody Wright, professor and extension beef specialist, compared the event today to his collegiate experience.

“The biggest difference is that there are more clubs and organizations involved with Little I, [now]” Wright said. “It hasn’t changed a great deal, though. It’s a model that has worked for a long time.”