UPC brings B.J. Novak of ‘The Office’ to perform at SDSU

%C2%A0%C2%A0

LAURA BUTTERBRODT Lifestyles Editor

In case you haven’t seen the giant posters around campus and town, comedian and author B.J. Novak, best known for his role as Ryan from “The Office,” will perform a stand up show 8 p.m. Friday in Frost Arena.

University Program Council, a nine-person student organization that works to produce activities and events for students, is bringing Novak to Brookings.

Cole Hinz and Helen Conzemius, president and vice president of UPC, respectively, said they have heard many people express their excitement for the show. Conzemius said she heard people in surrounding cities, like Watertown and Madison, were interested in the show.

“You can never really predict what kind of reaction they’re going to have, but you can try to make sure you’re picking an artist that everyone’s going to enjoy. So, it’s really reassuring that we have that support from the community and the campus, too,” Hinz said.

Brianna Doran, UPC’s marketing and publicity director, said as soon as the posters went up she was stopped by people all over campus who were excited for the show.

Although the details of the stand-up are a mystery, Conzemius said she does know Novak needs a garbage can on stage at some point in the routine. Novak’s stand up shows feature a variety of jokes, so audience members can expect the unexpected.

“This is a show that no one else in the country has seen before,” Doran said.

Hinz said, although many people don’t recognize the name on first reference, when they see a photo of Novak they recognize his face, which is where the design of UPC’s promotional posters came from.

According to Conzemius, the last time UPC brought a major event to South Dakota State was in 2013, when Jason Derulo performed.

Last spring Charlie Puth was scheduled to perform, but the show was canceled the day before, due to a vocal impairment.

“A lot of people think he lied, but he actually ended up canceling a sold-out show in Austin (Texas), two days after he canceled his show here,” Conzemius said.

Other events UPC is holding the rest of the semester include performances by the Human iPod and country duo Dave and Whitney, as well as a zipline and “Throwback Time Machine.”

Doran said tickets to see B.J. Novak are “going fast.” The organization’s goal is to sell out all 1,880 tickets, which would be celebrated by taping Hinz to a wall in The Union.

Tickets for students are $15 for upper level seating or $20 for floor seating. Non-student tickets are $20 for upper level seating or $25 for floor seating. 

Tickets can be purchased at Information Exchange in the Union, online or by calling 605-688-6127.