When looking for a job

IAN LACK Reporter

Working while attending college is common. Here are some tips on how to get the best out of a college job.

Start early

Before it gets competitive, try looking for jobs on campus and in the community in July and before the school year even begins.

Think of your major

Getting a job that relates to your major can be one of your first steps to securing a job in that field.

Consider workload

You are a student first, so your grades are what should be your priority. It’s not the same for everyone, but the Office of Career Development  working recommends 10-15 hours per week for students seeking a job.

Use your resources

The Office of Career Development in the Student Union and the South Dakota Department of Labor are just two resources that you can use when looking for a job. Job listings for the area are often posted online. But, if you are passionate about one area in particular, go there yourself and ask about job opportunities.

Work study options

Contact the Financial Aid Office to see if you qualify for a Work-Study program.

Remember wages

South Dakota’s minimum wage is $8.65 per hour. Most student jobs will be at this rate, but some may be higher.

Benefits of college jobs:

• Networking

– You can build connections when you do a good job in your position.

• Resume building

– Having a serious student job can be a great way to show future employers that you’re serious. Your current employer can also be a great point of reference for your professional resume.

• Experience

– Having a job while also being enrolled in classes can teach you time  management and responsibility, especially if your job relates to the field you’re studying