Three lazy tips to get clear skin

Collegian graphic by SUHYEON HAN

Amanda John, Columnist

If you’re familiar with my work you know I enjoy a little bit of self pampering and love — and the only thing better is doing it the lazy way. Today we are shifting scenes, and, trust me, your face will thank you.

Remember when you left high school and the acne didn’t stop? Or maybe it did but the scars of old still haunt you when the foundation or cosmetics comes off? Well, today I bring you three secret tips to getting healthier looking skin the laziest possible way.

First tip: The 60 second rule. This is really as simple as it sounds, a couple months ago I was scrolling through my Twitter feed and came upon L.A., based esthetician, LABeautyologist. She simply tweeted, “wash your face for 60 seconds, and be amazed.” I decided to give it a go, and my face has never looked better afterwards. Here’s a protip, sing along to the theme song of Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, or if you’re as unenthusiastic as I am, set a timer on your phone.

Either way, you won’t regret it, and please do not use soap or body lotion on your face, it is not formulated for facial skin, try a facial cleanser with no parabens or sulfates.

Second tip: Drink water. For real, I will never get over this. I know the natural rule is to stay hydrated and so people often say just keep in fluids. That my friend, is between you and your health professional.

You want great skin? Drink water and lots of it. Here’s a little tip to go along with that; stay away from soda and saturated drinks. I like to think of soda as a party the night before a big test, fun but never worth it. So, ditch that impromptu party, your skin will thank you.

Third tip: SPF. Want to know why your pimples are leaving scars even when you don’t pop them? Or your scars just won’t heal? Its because your skin is constantly being exposed to harsh rays and chemicals that weaken it. Use facial moisturizers with SPF and if you don’t like the consistency of moisturizers, try a serum with SPF. I would recommend sticking to anything with SPF35+ and over. For my more melanated friends, you need just as much SPF as everyone else, don’t play yourself this 2019.

Remember as always, be kind to yourself, no matter how great the skin looks, the heart beat keeps us going. Cheers.