South Dakota State University Pork Classic happening Saturday

A live hog will be auctioned during halftime of the men’s basketball game at the Pork Classic on Jan. 26. Proceeds go to support student scholarships.

The South Dakota State University Pork Classic will be held Saturday, January 26, 2019, in Frost Arena on the SDSU campus.

“This event highlights the importance of the swine industry and it’s young people to South Dakota,” explained Bob Thaler, Professor and SDSU Extension Swine Specialist.

The Jackrabbit men and women basketball teams host a doubleheader with Omaha. Tipoff is at 2 p.m. for the women and 4:15 p.m. for the men.

From 12:30 to 1:45 p.m., Animal Science Department faculty and staff and pork producers will serve freshly grilled pork loin donated by Smithfield Foods, Inc. for $8 per plate on the north side of the track in Frost Arena.

During the men’s halftime, pork bundles donated by Smithfield Foods, Inc. and a live hog donated by the SDSU Swine Education and Research Facility will be auctioned. Pork bundle and meal proceeds support scholarships for students in the Animal Science Department who are involved in the swine industry. Proceeds from the live hog auction support scholarships for students in the Athletic Department.