Dunteman, Goblirsch reminisce about semester at Collegian

HUNTER+DUNTEMAN+AND+JAMIE+GOBLIRSCH+

HUNTER DUNTEMAN AND JAMIE GOBLIRSCH

Hunter Dunteman and Jamie Goblirsch

HUNTER DUNTEMAN
Fall 2018 News Editor

Student journalism was something I never expected to be a part of. As a matter of fact, I only joined the Collegian by chance.

In February 2017, I bumped into then-Managing Editor Brianna Schreurs at a high school debate tournament we were judging at. Brianna and I found we had nearly everything in common — we were both advertising majors (at the time), we were both former debaters and we were both avid writers.

She finally convinced me to write an article for her newspaper, the Collegian.

It was tough — my editor was pretty strict on quality control — but I found myself overcome with a sense of accomplishment when I found my story on the front page of the paper.

In the era of media mistrust, and at a university as large as ours, many students hear more rumors than they do legitimate news. Sometimes, they don’t hear the news at all.

I’ve had the pleasure of covering things as serious as a shotgun fired in a dorm to hundreds of students yelling iconic Spongebob quotes at the Campanile.

Working for the Collegian has easily been the most fun and beneficial experience of my life thus far. That being said: you, reader, also have a responsibility to tell it how it is.

The Collegian is almost always hiring. Anyone can write a story, submit a photo or write their hot-take opinion on almost any topic they want.

Contributing to the Collegian comes with many benefits — it pays, it’s great for a portfolio and it could even upgrade your status to “cool.” Take advantage of your opportunities here at SDSU. Your time here can end a lot quicker than you’d think.

JAMIE GOBLIRSCH
Fall 2018 Design Coordinator

My experience working at The Collegian has been nothing short of amazing. When I received news back in the spring of 2018 that I had been promoted to the position of Design Coordinator, I knew I would be in for quite a ride, and I was so eager to see what our staff was capable of come fall.

Three months of hard work, 12 issues and 260 plus published stories later, we are nearing the end of the semester, and I can’t help but reflect back on our memories and successes together.

I could not be more proud of our staff including our reporters, advertising crew,  editors, adviser and especially my designers. Without each position, The Collegian and what we do here would not be possible.

It’s crazy the type of relationships one can build in only three months, but when you are locked in an office with eight to 10 other staff members for two nights a week, 12 weeks of the semester, you get really comfortable with your coworkers really fast.

I have never been part of a more hard working and tight-knit team. It’s not all business though; of course, shenanigans and laughter are required to keep our sanity throughout the late-night work sessions.

But at the end of the day we always pull together a well thought out and quality newspaper.

I learned more than I thought I ever could on the job as a designer, and I built relationships that will last a lifetime. I am proud to have been part of the 134 years of dedicated and hard-working students that have built this reputable student-run organization.