Quick, easy last-minute Halloween costumes

TESSA+SINCLAIR%0AFreshman+Animal+Science+and+Wildlife+and+Fisheries+major%2C+Wendy+Blickensderfer+dresses+up+in+her+do+it+yourself+cactus+costume.+
TESSA SINCLAIR Freshman Animal Science and Wildlife and Fisheries major, Wendy Blickensderfer dresses up in her do it yourself cactus costume.

You probably haven’t given much thought to your Halloween costume. If you have, you wouldn’t be reading this.

We get it — sometimes the amount in the bank account and creativity both run low.

Here is a list of costumes that are cute and affordable using things you probably already have in the closet.

If you have a black dress…

A black dress is a staple in a closet, and turning it into a last-minute costume couldn’t be easier. A witch costume can quickly be made by adding a pointed hat, broom and black heels.

However, the fun doesn’t have to stop there. A black dress can also be paired with a feathered headband and multiple long pearl necklaces to recreate the iconic 1920s flapper style. Now, if neither a witch nor a flapper is up your alley, you can also pull together a Wednesday Addams costume involving the black dress, a white collar and braids.

If you have denim…

If you have any sort of denim bottoms and any sort of denim top, it can be turned into a Rosie the Riveter ensemble in a matter of minutes. Put your hair in a curly ponytail, toss on a red bandana, red lipstick and some red shoes and that’s that. Not only is this costume cute and practical for trick or treating or running from house parties, but it is also based off items you probably already own.

If you have a black top and bottoms…

If you own leggings or black jeans then this costume is already 50 percent complete. Pairing black bottoms with a black shirt is the perfect base to a classic cat costume that works whether you are four or 24. It’s Halloween so you might as well break out the face paint and add a cat nose and whiskers. Finish the look off with plastic cat ears that can be found at WalMart for cheap and you will “paw-sitively” be the cutest cat on the block. If you aren’t “feline” the kitten outfit — O.K. I’m done with the cat puns — then I have one more option. Using black bottoms and a black shirt, preferably an off the shoulder one, can transform you into the famous female greaser, Sandy Olsson. Curly hair and red shoes are the only things left until this getup is complete.

If you have a white dress…

Nothing lets people know it’s Halloween like seeing a zombie bride walking around town. If you’re wanting something a little more spooky this season, find a white dress and fake veil. To really seal the deal on this look, check out Youtube and watch how-to-be-a-zombie videos to really pull the look together. If you want to go a completely different route, using the same white dress, you can dress as an angel and just add wings and a halo, whether visible or not.

If you have a Hawaiian shirt…

Another classic costume is the tacky tourist. Think “dad who is taking his family to the Grand Canyon for the first time” vibes for this one. All you need is a shirt with some sort of obnoxious print, jean shorts and, this is key: a fanny pack. A khaki fisherman’s hat, long socks, a camera and tennis shoes also help complete the look. The tackier, the better folks.

If you have a green sweater…

A green sweater and a run to the dollar store can turn that plain sweater into a cactus, with a few white pipe cleaners and a flower crown and the costume is done. Another option is related to a completely different holiday. You can make your costume a Christmas tree with a few DIY ornaments and a star to hold above your head to complete the costume.