McCrory Gardens host Dog Days of Fall for second year

EMMA ANDERSON Michael and Tiffany Gonna bring their dog, Doc to McCrory Garden for Dog Days of Fall on Oct. 14.

For the second year in a row, one of the cutest events in Brookings welcomed back its four-legged friends for Dog Days of Fall.

The event, which for one day allows dogs inside the formal gardens from noon to 5 p.m. Oct. 14 at McCrory Gardens.

Pet owners and pets came in costumes, said Lisa Marotz, the McCrory Gardens manager of operations.

“It is a joy to see how happy dog owners were to come and enjoy this enchanting place with their furry ones,” Marotz said.

Dog owner, Gabby Lundgren, walked the gardens with her terrier poodle, Pippen, and her border collie, Leif.

“I think that this is just such an awesome park and it is really nice to be able to share it with my dogs,” Lundgren said.

For the second year, Michael and Tiffany Gonda brought their dog, Doc, who was sporting Jackrabbit gear, while enjoying a change of scenery.

“We usually have to walk just in our neighborhood and through the nature park, so it’s good to have a different place to explore,” Tiffany said.

Last year, McCrory Gardens welcomed nearly 90 people and 20 dogs during the event.

Michele Dudash brought her leonberger, Linnea and said, “it was a lot of fun. I met a friend and my dog also got to meet other dogs, which was nice,” she said.

In fact, the general consensus from everyone who brought their dogs was that the event should happen more often.

“I think it would be great if they did this a couple times a year where we could come and walk the grounds with our pets,” Michael said.

The event required dogs to be on leashes and a $1 admission fee for dogs and a free-will donation for people. All donations are put toward repairing the McCrory Gardens Cottage.

In the future, Marotz hopes to possibly add a “spooky pooch parade” and partner with the Humane Society.

“There is definitely always room to improve and grow,” Marotz said.